Thread: Preparation for long trips

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Default Preparation for long trips

Hello all

This December I'm planning on driving from my Tucson home to visit a friend of mine in San Fransisco. I'm not worried that my Z won't make it there but I'd like to prepare her for the long trip. (From google maps I'm getting that its 950 miles each way excluding day trips and such). Other then checking ALL fluids, brakes, tires and plugs is there anything I should do to prepare?

Thanks all
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

I always have a spare set of extra ignition parts, (points, cap rotor, a bit of electrical wire & tape). Even though I have a Pertronix ignition, it's an easy reversal should it fail.
    On long trips I carry a 1 gallon of water and a quart of oil. I always keep a small set of tools, flares, etc in the car. I've never carried canned air for a low tire, but for a long trip, maybe...
    I make sure the spare has air before I leave, and verify all the lights are working properly.

For me, I always have some granola bars or similar food in case I'm broken down long enough to get hungary, and a warm coat. The emergency cooling system water is drinkable, and works for me as well.

I keep a slide rule in the glove box for computing gas mileage. Of course a cell phone, car charger and road service number.

Lastly, extra money in the event something breaks and it's more than I can fix on the road.
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-15388

Forgot fuses...
    Julio
    1972 240Z (in-progress, 95% complete)
    CZC# 15388

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

My most important trip item is the AAA card! I also carry a spare alt/water pump belt in the glove box and I've noticed my slave cylinder has a tendency of going out (stupid, cheap Napa SC). I make sure to have basic tools on hand, like wrenches, screwdrivers, shears and maybe a socket set. Oil, water, spare parts, etc. are good to have just in case, but a cell phone and roadside service will put me at ease.

Oh, and don't forget duct tape.
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

BTW, stop by when you're in town!
    2/74 260Z

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Top it off with gas on the AZ side just before crossing the river so you can go farther before you have to get the crappier and way more expensive CA gas. I like to change the oil before a trip, or at least pop in a new filter. Prefer the deli at Albertson's in Blythe to any fast food place, but there's a good Mexican place across the street from sizzler.
    I'd do at least part of the trip on CA highway 1, it's a sport car road with good food along the way and the 5 is so boring (and nothing but fast "food"). Check online for speed trap locations. Don't try to drive LA freeways after 3 pm.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Tools.

Also find the contact info for presidents/admin of Zclubs in the regions you pass. In an emergency they can find help no problem.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Supporting Member Zedyone_kenobi's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-16285

Extra electrical wire and connectors. A way to jack up the car.
    Lug wrenches for taking off the wheels. I also recommend some windshield cleaner.
    1971 240Z HLS30-38691
    93.9% done and getting better every day
    Now with 100% more DATSUN SPIRIT L28 Power
    1968 Datsun 2000 SRL311-03416

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

All of the above is great advice.

I have a small Craftsman Canvas tool bag with a basic set of hand tools and some spare parts { a few feet of wire, spare fuses, ignition parts etc.}. In addition to a set of mechanics gloves and clean rags. I also carry a tube of hand cleaner. I also carry a small rug - it protects the original carpet and gives you something to lay on if you have to get under the car.

A good high quality fire extinguisher for GAS/Electrical fires is a MUST as far as I'm concerned. Too many 280Z's are still running around with their original or 20+ year old rubber fuel lines. Which current blends of gasoline can destroy. {blow a fuel injector hose and you can have a fire in a heart beat}.

In addition I carry a couple extra hose clamps - to clamp off a heater hose if one lets go. If you have mags on the car - make sure you have a set of STOCK lug nuts to mount the spare.. For sure I would have one or two extra fuel filters along - one tank of bad gas and leave you stranded with a clogged fuel filter.

Most common things I've seen happen on longer trips to 70-78 Z's - These were cars that ran great for decades around town and on short trips - but the owners had left many things unattended because they never failed..until the stress of a long high speed trip was put on them.
    Blown Heater Hose
    Blown Radiator Hose
    Blown Fuses... headlight and high speed heater fan
    Failed Fuel Pump Or Clogged fuel filters
    Electronic Ignition Module - over heated and failed
    No stock lug nuts to mount the spare wheel/tire {I've given three sets away on the road - to other Z owners}

As I recall the trip from Tucson into California is pretty much a very dry desert... I'd certainly have a lot of Gator-Aid and Water with me - in a cooler with lots of ice. A gallon or two of fresh water wouldn't hurt either. Stay hydrated and stay awake..

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    All of the above is great advice.

I have a small Craftsman Canvas tool bag with a basic set of hand tools and some spare parts { a few feet of wire, spare fuses, ignition parts etc.}. In addition to a set of mechanics gloves and clean rags. I also carry a tube of hand cleaner. I also carry a small rug - it protects the original carpet and gives you something to lay on if you have to get under the car.

A good high quality fire extinguisher for GAS/Electrical fires is a MUST as far as I'm concerned. Too many 280Z's are still running around with their original or 20+ year old rubber fuel lines. Which current blends of gasoline can destroy. {blow a fuel injector hose and you can have a fire in a heart beat}.

In addition I carry a couple extra hose clamps - to clamp off a heater hose if one lets go. If you have mags on the car - make sure you have a set of STOCK lug nuts to mount the spare.. For sure I would have one or two extra fuel filters along - one tank of bad gas and leave you stranded with a clogged fuel filter.

Most common things I've seen happen on longer trips to 70-78 Z's - These were cars that ran great for decades around town and on short trips - but the owners had left many things unattended because they never failed..until the stress of a long high speed trip was put on them.
    Blown Heater Hose
    Blown Radiator Hose
    Blown Fuses... headlight and high speed heater fan
    Failed Fuel Pump Or Clogged fuel filters
    Electronic Ignition Module - over heated and failed
    No stock lug nuts to mount the spare wheel/tire {I've given three sets away on the road - to other Z owners}

As I recall the trip from Tucson into California is pretty much a very dry desert... I'd certainly have a lot of Gator-Aid and Water with me - in a cooler with lots of ice. A gallon or two of fresh water wouldn't hurt either. Stay hydrated and stay awake..

FWIW,
    Carl B.
    Carl,
    I've had a fire extinquisher in my car ever since I got it. All proper sports cars should have them, not only for you incase a rubber hose goes but in case you run into someone in need of one, I'm sure there are other antiques out there that can light fire, or even modern cars (note Ford exploder...er I mean explorer). As for the common failures you mentioned. The heater hoses, radiator hoses, and most of the fuel lines are new. The dizzy (81zx one) and the ignition module are both new but with my luck (see older posts) this could give out any time. I have AAA card in my wallet in case. My heater is sadly sprug a weeping leak (and I mean weeping, it drips about three of four drops per couple of days) but knowing my luck it will blow half-way there. I'm thinking renting a car maybe a better options but I would rather drive her there.

Thanks guys
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Formerly known as Koalia Reverend's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-20168

I take my small toolbox with me, it also looks good on the rear compartment. http://www.powerplustools.fi/image.p...%2FPPT1305.jpg
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

The fire estinguisher can help not only YOU but some other poor schmoe you see on the side of the road.

True story. I came up on a guy with a Jaguar XJS aflame, slammed on the brakes, stopped far enough away so MY car wouldn't ignite if his gas tank did, ran to the scene, fire estinguisher in hand, my finger in the safety pin...

I said to him...Think for a moment....do you want me to put this out, or do you want to let it burn, and have the insurance company total it.

burning my hands opening the hood on a car that's on fire isn't something I relish doing anyway -- especially someone elses!

He paused...."Let it burn."

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

Flat tires, running out of gas, and overheating are the big three out on the highway. Along with accidents.

Check the air in the spare, or carry along one of those toy compressors. A gallon of water can put out a fire as well as fill a radiator. That same plastic milk jug can ALSO serve as a gas can you GIVE to someone else. A piece of 14AWG wire, couple feet long can be invaluable. An empty plastic gas can. A $20 tow strap, which ANY SUV/pickup can tow you to a repair shop wiith, saving you HOURS waiting for a tow truck. A hydraulic bottle jack and a 4-way wrench. An old sheet (to put on the ground and lie on, tear bandages out of, cover up a casualty..) A WORKING flashlight, a big one, not a mini Maglite.

Something to read. Priceless.

I've very seldom needed any of these thing, or all the tools I carry, flares, etc. But I've really helped out some people I saw broken down on the side of the road. people whose jack can't lift the car high enough because of their oversize wheels, for instance. At night that flashlight will allow you to stop or direct cars who would otherwise pile into an accident.

And they'll always remember the guy in the Z who stopped and got them going again.

Member ID
    CZCC-20168

I think main preparation is to prepare your Z, when properly maintained, you wont need any of these what we have suggested. I'll usually spent hours doing a complete search for any faulty parts before big trip and that has paid off.
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-20168

Double post, please delete
    -72 240Z "Goldie"

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Nelson View Post

True story. I came up on a guy with a Jaguar XJS aflame, slammed on the brakes, stopped far enough away so MY car wouldn't ignite if his gas tank did, ran to the scene, fire estinguisher in hand, my finger in the safety pin...

I said to him...Think for a moment....do you want me to put this out, or do you want to let it burn, and have the insurance company total it.

burning my hands opening the hood on a car that's on fire isn't something I relish doing anyway -- especially someone elses!

He paused...."Let it burn."
    Exact same thing happened to my last XJS - the wife was at a major intersection waiting on a Left Hand Turn Light - she saw a small amount of smoke come up from the cowl - the light turned green and she make the left hand turn - a few feet down the road the "smoke" turned to "Flames" and she pulled into a shopping mall parking lot - got out of the car. The Fire Dept. was located at that intersection - so they were there in a flash. Even so the fire totalled the XJ-S.

I had it towed to the Jag. Dealer - the Service Manager there bought the car for a V8 Conversion.. The Jag Dealer appraised the car for the Insurance Company - - - so I got fair market value for it. Beautiful driving car with a wonderful V12..smooth... but I'd never own another..Electrical problems were constant.. ah not to mention the fire.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-18366

Ah, another item might be needed then, marshmallows in case there is an engine fire.
    I am an electrical kind of person so I would have a voltmeter with me. Never used one yet, just like the idea of having it there.
    Last edited by Mikes Z car; 11-26-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

The most important tool I have is a cheap multimeter. At $3-5 each, I stash one on every car and boat. I seem use these more on other people's cars, boats, houses, electronic items than on my own cars/boats. I also stash an OBDII reader on our truck, which is our only remaining post-1996 vehicle.

Important spare parts: Fuses and bulbs, belts.

Important supplies: 1 quart of oil and one can of starter fluid (depending on the vehicle). In the desert, also take water.

Single most indespensible item for anyone with an old car: AAA card.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-4044

I rented a car last year and put over 5k miles on it in a little over 2 weeks. I was comfortable had a nice stereo, a/c and cruise control. 8 years ago I took my 240z to the '04 z convention, no a/c, no tunes and no cc. I forget what I took, but had no problems.
    things will only bother you if you let them.

82 280zxt 4 spd auto
    73 240z--lsd, cv axles
    short throw info

Member ID
    CZCC-28227

The above posts have covered most everything you could need, especially the AAA card. I recently did a fly and drive when I picked up my Z in Tuscon. I drove it back to Georgia and had the same concerns about the trip. Once you have your basic kit established be sure to take the second most important thing.....a camera!! When you look back over the years those pics will be priceless!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	58322

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Sort of hate to add any more items; guess I'm not the only one whose car is a rolling parts store and repair shop. How much is too much? Last trip the car was running rich - it was nice to have a fresh set of plugs for the drive back. I also take a timing light & dwell/tach meter, and flow meter in case I feel like doing a tuneup. Jumper cables, mostly for the other guy, so far. It would be nice to have a gallon of race gas (to make up for the extra weight, haha), since it can be a hassle to find. I better get some fuses.

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

The fuel rails on the XJS's were notorious for cracking. I know at least two other S owners who had Jaguar flambe'.

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

Quote Originally Posted by FastWoman View Post
    Important supplies: one can of starter fluid
    With the Jaguars starter fluid was seldom necessary. They'd self-ignite.

Member ID
    CZCC-24403

Hmmmmm.......and all I thought one ever really needed for a long trip in their Z was their Hagerty Roadside Assistance card and an Ipod loaded with tunes from the '70's (for when I get tired listening to my original AM Radio)

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by bombsquad View Post
    The above posts have covered most everything you could need, especially the AAA card. I recently did a fly and drive when I picked up my Z in Tuscon. I drove it back to Georgia and had the same concerns about the trip. Once you have your basic kit established be sure to take the second most important thing.....a camera!! When you look back over the years those pics will be priceless!

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	58322
    Did you recently get this Z? I swear I've seen/driven in that Z before
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-19498
    308 Palmetto Avenue Melbourne Florida 32901

Regardless of what you take leave the stress behind and enjoy looking out at the road rushing under your wheel...............Sound familiar?
    "HAPPINESS"....isn't just around the corner......"HAPPINESS"....is the CORNER"

Member ID
    CZCC-28227

Quote Originally Posted by Pomorza View Post
    Did you recently get this Z? I swear I've seen/driven in that Z before
    Yes, it belonged to a guy in Tucson who is very much into the car scene. He is rocking a beautiful blue 510 now.
    And of the drive....absolutely one of the best experiences of my life!! Blasting across this country in an incredible car! Be sure to allow enough time in your schedule for talking to strangers as well....everywhere I stopped, someone had a Z memory to share.

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by bombsquad View Post
    Yes, it belonged to a guy in Tucson who is very much into the car scene. He is rocking a beautiful blue 510 now.
    And of the drive....absolutely one of the best experiences of my life!! Blasting across this country in an incredible car! Be sure to allow enough time in your schedule for talking to strangers as well....everywhere I stopped, someone had a Z memory to share.
    Holy Crap I know who's Z that was, what a small world. I've driven it once it was a really nice drive. He had some issues with it in the past that were fixed and man is that car nice. I would have bought it from him but I'm rocking my own Z right now.

Thanks
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Double check that plastic milk bottle to make sure it won't dissolve with gasoline.

E

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I've had that happen when I was kid, E. Hahaha

One thing I learned that helps on long trips, is to just slow down a bit. That way there's no reason for the car, engine, or tires to overheat or whatever, and most other things will be 'relaxed' and things just overall last longer...
    Drive Responsibly.
    enjoy classic Rock music.

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

> most other things will be 'rlaxed" and things just overall last longer...

Including the driver.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Right- I've noticed that it's usually the people that are rushing or just going a little harder or faster that get into trouble. Almost every Friday during or after rush hour on the highway there's car or minivan upside down in the grass just outside of the urban area where farm-country starts.

The people that are just driving along peacefully get better gas mileage, less wear, and are more relaxed in the end. If you really need to get somewhere that much faster, take an airplane.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 11-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-28227

Holy Crap I know who's Z that was, what a small world. I've driven it once it was a really nice drive. He had some issues with it in the past that were fixed and man is that car nice. I would have bought it from him but I'm rocking my own Z right now.

Thanks
    Jan
    His 510 is awesome as well! I am really enjoying the car. I've added HID lights and re-tuned the carbs for my local altitude. Even though he installed a high end stereo, I only listened to one song the entire drive across the county. That engine and exhaust note were music enough. Man, all I can say is prepare the best you can, have some kind of towing service for the worst case scenario and simply enjoy the ride!!

Name:	194F4FE5-09CE-4F41-9F16-D0A0C46C9AA2-779-000000D259751A4A.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	58392

Watching the sunrise in NM

Cheers,

Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-25833

A good looking female co- pilot in my list to add to all the above items is a must on a long road trip,,,,

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by 72 OJ View Post
    A good looking female co- pilot in my list to add to all the above items is a must on a long road trip,,,,
    HA you're funny. Finding a lass that's as interested in cars (and engineering) as I am has become rather challenge more then anything.

TomoHawk
    I don't understand people these days, what ever happened to slowing down and smelling the flowers. Everyone is always in such a hurry, like their house is on fire. I rarely ever do over about 70 in the Z, there's no reason. That and once you actually understand at 75 mph you're doing 110 feet per second (yes 110 feet in ONE (1) second) you realize that maybe you should slow down a bit and take you're time. Its a road trip anyway. Last time I took a road trip it took me neary 26 hours to drive to LA from Tucson. I kept stopping and checking out stops on the way and enjoying myself. And clearly I have to take 1000's of pictures, its the only way to travel .

Anyhow
    Thanks all
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Quote Originally Posted by 72 OJ View Post
    A good looking female co- pilot...
    That could also end up in a very short trip, if you can't keep your eyes on the road.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I took a road trip it took me neary 26 hours to drive to LA from Tucson. I kept stopping and checking out stops on the way and enjoying myself.
    Did you run into Chevy chase on the way?
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

I don't understand people these days, what ever happened to slowing down and smelling the flowers. Everyone is always in such a hurry, like their house is on fire.
    You can thank iPads, smart phones, cell phones and "social networking" for that. People just want to get that one last SMS or email message done, and forget that they gotta be at work, or pick up the kids, or whatever. So they just put the hammer down, thinking that driving fast will get them there on time. the other half is the need for more HPs, turbos, and sporty anything, which just plain gets people used to going faster. Have you noticed the number of bikes on the streets or the bike trails lately? They're all home watching dead people, zombies, vamps, or the other stuff I mentioned.

Even the Z convention is suffering. In 2008, we were planning on 500+ cars, and only got half or so.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 12-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    You can thank iPads, smart phones, cell phones and "social networking" for that. People just want to get that one last SMS or email message done, and forget that they gotta be at work, or pick up the kids, or whatever. So they just put the hammer down, thinking that driving fast will get them there on time. the other half is the need for more HPs, turbos, and sporty anything, which just plain gets people used to going faster. Have you noticed the number of bikes on the streets or the bike trails lately? They're all home watching dead people, zombies, vamps, or the other stuff I mentioned.

Even the Z convention is suffering. In 2008, we were planning on 500+ cars, and only got half or so.
    I'm going to go a step further and blame it on pure laziness.
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

This thread is rapidly approaching that Zen-like realization that the trip itself is as, if not MORE important than actually arriving at the destination.

Stopping and smelling the flowers. Taking photographs. Reading historical markers. Doing the cheesy things like stopping at Meteor Crater. Stopping and helping the guy with the flat tire. Talking to the developmentally disabled kid at the Mini-Mart who really, REALLY loves your Z-car.

Seriously! If you've got the time, why NOT make the trip just as fun as what you intend to do at your destination.

And lastly, consider this. What if you were to die in a fiery crash 10 miles from your destination. Would you be wishing THEN that you'd enjoyed the ride a little bit more?

If you haven't read it yet, start with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." The road trip isn't about how many miles you can accumulate each day. It's about how many memories you can create.

The Z-car owner who gets to the destination last...WINS!

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

What would everyone think about turning this thread into a FORUM entitled something like "The Road Trip?"

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Good point, Pomorza.

How 'bout we share some memories about roadtrips? Has anyone run into any celebrities, other than in Hollywood? I once stopped in Gainesville, FL on the way to Spring Bake, and saw Don Garlits.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 12-04-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Nelson View Post
    What would everyone think about turning this thread into a FORUM entitled something like "The Road Trip?"
    That sounds like a good idea.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Update, sort of
    I took the Z out for a nice long drive today - about an hour - to get the tune (I have tuneable injection) nice and see how she performs. I noticed a really interesting thing. For the first 15 to 20 minutes or so the Z just doesn't really sound all that great. The idle is bit boucny (jumps about 80-100 rpms up). There's no hesitaion or anything the idle is just a bit off for a bit. But after a few nice long pulls up to 5k and nice cruising it all evened out. The idle sounds amazing and sits around 1000 (I like it there, it makes it sound glorious). Anyone else experience this or is my Z just tempermental? I know I have a rather annoying exhaut leak (which only seems to be there when the car is cold) but could that really lead to the idle being so meh?

On an unrelated note, everyone I know is telling me to rent a car; parents, friends, people I talk to. I know she's an old car but why do people think she's going to die halfway down the road?

Thanks all
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    Good point, Pomorza.

How 'bout we share some memories about roadtrips? Has anyone run into any celebrities, other than in Hollywood? I once stopped in Gainesville, FL on the way to Spring Bake, and saw Don Garlits.
    Really !! What was Don doing in Gainesville - he lives in Ocala, has a museum there as well.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

I know she's an old car but why do people think she's going to die halfway down the road?
    Because they are people that have never owned a DATSUN.

Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-2169

To many people these days (the kind that can't live without their smart phones, iPads and social networking,) old car = JUNK, and NEW car = quality, safety, and convenience (or laziness?) Even the auto salesmen are pushing the SUVs lately (I was looking at a Fiesta,) telling me that the small cars are UNSAFE. I'd like to see an SUV run an autocross course faster than my Cub Cadet!

So thanks to those like us, that keep the spirit of real driving alive!

I'd like to see a huge caravan of S30s arriving together at the next ZCON... That ought to be a real sight to behold.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 12-05-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Drive Responsibly.

Member ID
    CZCC-19635

The idle sounds amazing and sits around 1000 (I like it there, it makes it sound glorious). Anyone else experience this or is my Z just tempermental?
    Mine too. It will idle just fine at the spec 800, but it drives so much nicer with the idle at 1000.

On an unrelated note, everyone I know is telling me to rent a car; parents, friends, people I talk to. I know she's an old car but why do people think she's going to die halfway down the road?
    Arrrrgh! Now don't you listen to them! There is no finer road car, IMO, than a 280Z. In my household, the little Miata is for short drives on the parkway with the top down. The Z is for longer drives whenever we hop the freeway to go see relatives in the next city. The marathon drives are admittedly with the truck, often with something in tow.
    My last three sports cars while I still owned all three:

2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i soft/hard top (sold)
    1966 Ford Mustang Coupe (sold)
    1978 Datsun 280Z (enjoying very much )

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Well I've decided that I'm going to take the Z. I've spent way too much time and money on this lovely car not to take it on the road. I can only think of two possible () things going wrong and that is either the front cover leaking coolant (mine is eaten away and well I siliconed the hell out of it, I have a spare so I'm taking that with me) or the dizzy dying again. (or the heater core exploding, that could always happen) I'm taking it in next week for a 96 point insepction and to fill the fluids again. Unless they find something absurdly wrong with the Z, I'm pretty positive I'm taking her to Cali. I'll post some pics and we'll go from there. If all else fails I'm sure I could replace parts on the side of the road.

Here's the list of things I plan on taking
    - quart of oil
    - coolant
    - brake fluid (everything is new but...murphy)
    - my entire cobalt ratchet set, screw drivers, pliers, silcone and really any other tool I can fit
    - spare front cover (and waterpump gasket)
    - Spare belt (though mine is relatively new, hose clamps in case the heater decides to die)
    - Computer (for tuning and monitoring the temps)
    - Camera (for pictures)
    - crap loads of food and water
    - a jack (the stock one is nice but I like to be safe)

I sadly don't have a radio in my Z - not like I would listen to it anyway - the Z sounds great.

If anyone can think of anything else let me know.
    Jan
    Last edited by Pomorza; 12-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Purposefully change your seating position as you go to change the pressure points and muscle groups. Tilting back and sliding on rails are all ya' got but use them every few hours.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

My humble addition to the list is a can of Fix-A-Flat. Sure, you've got a spare, but...
    Also, whenever I take a long drive, I pour a can of Seafoam into the tank before the initial fill up. Figure I might as well let it do it's magic on a steady drive.

Two other things I try to do: When the fuel tank is getting close to half full, I start looking for a station-especially if I know I'm approaching an extended length of nothingness.
    Make yourself stop every few hours at a rest stop (or gas station) and get yourself walking around for 10-15 minutes. It may seem counter productive to do so, if time is on your mind, but it really does help stave off fatigue.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Please try the 60, off the 10 after Palm springs, over the hill and down to Riverside. That part of the 10 is boring. The uphill part of the 60 westbound is 2 to 4 lanes undivided and can be a bit slow here and there, but downhill it turns into 4 lanes divided. Where traffic is light you can safely hit a hundred down the mountain - perfect road for a Z. Once I found the 60 never took the 10 again.

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Please try the 60, off the 10 after Palm springs, over the hill and down to Riverside. That part of the 10 is boring. The uphill part of the 60 westbound is 2 to 4 lanes undivided and can be a bit slow here and there, but downhill it turns into 4 lanes divided. Where traffic is light you can safely hit a hundred down the mountain - perfect road for a Z. Once I found the 60 never took the 10 again.
    That was the plan to begin with, I'm going to go down till I hit the 1, if I'm going to drive to SF I might as well see the Pacific right? I don't know if going through the dead center of LA is a good idea (if anyone knows let me know, but I'm guessing not).

Thanks
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

10 to the 60, 60 to 91, 91/Artesia to 405, 405 back to 10, 10 to PCH (1). Went to Glendale last week (for a new used hood for the old chevy) over 7 freeways,what a nightmare, even late morning/early afternoon. Anything Eastbound is bad except very early morning, 10:30 am to 1 pm & after 9:00 pm.
    Might want to check out Neptune's Nest at LA/Ventura county line, barbacue oyster place central coast somewhere, all you can eat barbacue at Big Sur, etc., etc...

Member ID
    CZCC-26864

A permanent Road Trip forum? How about it moderators?

I'm currently caring for an elderly father. When he passes, I plan to do a once-in-a lifetime road trip. Some of it in an RV, some on motorcycle, and some in my ZX.

So what are your favorite blue highways? What backroads are simply NOT to be missed?

I know the back road from Memphis to Little Rock, I plan to backtrack and hit that one. Parallels 40.

Tell me about YOUR ultimate road trip. What places do YOU intend to see when you get the time, and $ to hit the road?

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

I've driven HWY 60 for over 30 years - including twice a day for a few years. It's also the route taken by hay hauling trucks. Cruising it at night and coming upon a semi load of dumped hay bales strewn all over the road increases the "pucker factor" considerably while slaloming between them. Saying you can "safely hit a hundred down the mountain" is probably not totally accurate.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Default Oh no!

Well ladies and gents

The inevidable has happened. This afternoon I was driving the Z to my brothers place and long and behold I started smelling coolant. I arrived at my brothers to find that the waterpump had sprung a leak (er more like a gyser) where it mates to the front cover. I pulled the pump off and found that the silicone I had used to fill in the part of my cover that was eaten away (by electrolysis I'm supposing) had broken free. I was able to flush it out of the block with some water (luckily) but I'm going to have to replace my front cover. Since I have finals (college) and work this whole week I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rent a car to drive to San Fransisco. It sadens me deeply but in the long run I'm sure its for the best.

I was thinking of siliconing the hell out of the front cover again (which is what I ended up doing anyway so I can get to school and work, its holding, for now) but I don't really want it to giveway haflway to Cali in the middle of the desert. While fixing a front cover on the side of the road sounds like a great time I don't think an engine lift will fit. That and I don't cars driving by at 80mph will make the whole area all that clean. (I'm sure all L motors love some dirt in the gears right? ).

Thanks for all the suggests and I hope that in the future (when I get a new front cover in the Z) that I'll be able to make that trip again. I'm sure its going to be awesome.

Thanks all
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-1490

Does anyone have a spare front cover?

Not looking to merge the "Pay it forward" thread and this, but it's the right time of the season....

I don't have one, otherwise I'd volunteer it.

E
    71 240 920 Gold
    72 240 Orange
    73 240 Red
    67 1600 Sports Roadster Spicy Orange Mica
    68 2000 Sports Roadster Red

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Quote Originally Posted by EScanlon View Post
    Does anyone have a spare front cover?

Not looking to merge the "Pay it forward" thread and this, but it's the right time of the season....

I don't have one, otherwise I'd volunteer it.

E
    Oh don't worry I have a spare, I got it about a while ago I just haven't had the time to put the damn thing in. (and to be honest I haven't really felt like disassmebling have the car to fix one thing, in retrospect I should have done it)

Thanks for the offer though guys
    Jan
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Quote Originally Posted by psdenno View Post
    I've driven HWY 60 for over 30 years - including twice a day for a few years. It's also the route taken by hay hauling trucks. Cruising it at night and coming upon a semi load of dumped hay bales strewn all over the road increases the "pucker factor" considerably while slaloming between them. Saying you can "safely hit a hundred down the mountain" is probably not totally accurate.
    Dennis
    Right - Don't outdrive the headlights.

Member ID
    CZCC-24191

Sounds like your car's telling you something. And...JB Weld stands up fine to hot pressurized coolant.... but don't.

Member ID
    CZCC-19999

Sounds like your car's telling you something. And...JB Weld stands up fine to hot pressurized coolant.... but don't.
    I learned long ago JB weld does NOT go on internal components of the car. So engines,trans, and especially DIFFS are not JB weld places. EVER
    1976 280Z
    HLS30288273

Member ID
    CZCC-19146

Give me a shout (send a PM) if you're coming through SF and need to get your Z fix. I'm in San Bruno.
    2/74 260Z

Thread Information