Thread: Insight on an old 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

Default Insight on an old 240z

The city has come to own a (going off the door jamb plate) 2/72 HLS30-69776 I know there is a z registry but, other than that is there no real way of finding history of these cars? If not can anyone on here give me insight to the history of the car, maybe it is a long lost love for someone on here. I'm looking to buy it and would just like to know a bit more if anyone can help because I will have to fight to achieve a lost title as the previous owner never filed for one. And i'd hate to see this beautiful blue beauty be scrapped

Member ID
    CZCC-751

Can the city get a title through the lien process? How did the city acquire it?

You may need to check with your dmv as to the process in Ill.

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

I think police or DMV can run the vin.

Here is a quick general intro to the car model

You can find a ton more here: http://zhome.com/

Welcome to the club
    Last edited by Blue; 01-02-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-26437

Good luck, could be a great project. Don't seem too eager but make it known that you are interested.
    Cities usually just want to liquidate these kinds of things, set a price of what you think it is worth (and that means all of the stuff that it will take to get it road worthy, rust repairs and such, then double it).
    1970 240Z HLS30 01955 March/70

Member ID
    CZCC-751

A title search as suggested by "Blue" would be smart. You do not want to buy a stolen vehicle. I have heard of stolen cars being returned to their original owners after being restored.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

The data Blue posted has a VIN error. Up until July 1972 (I think) the serial number was 5 digits, not 6. The six digit serial number began with HLS30-120000 I believe.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Good eye Chris. Also, on the first line they have omitted 6/70 to 12/70 builds or more likely, 5/70 was a misprint.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

This doesn't surprise me. When I first began the process of restoring 26th, I spent a huge amount of time and money buying the parts I would need. (The whole scheme backfired on me when the economy took a dump in 2008) Back then, buying, say a correct windshield for a 1969 build, was no more of a problem than finding the correct Nissan part number and ordering it. What I found was a very (did I say very? Yes, I said very) confusing part to build date correlation and I think that is where some of the misinformation we see from a reputable vendor like Black Dragon comes from. The old part numbering system was apparently revised a number of times and the updates include missing build months and incorrect serial number ranges to name but two confusing gaffs.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

From what I've been told the owner of the property did not even have a title for it or never filed for one, as much as I love the idea of owning two Z cars bought IMO dirt cheap it may be in best interest to stay away to prevent myself from getting screwed by buying the car then getting caught up in fees and time for a title that I may not get or have it come back as a stolen car. As much as I'd love to have it I don't think it would be a wise idea. I might see if I can just get some parts like the wheels off of it and then kind of just see what i can get off of it.

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

Although maybe i'm jumping to conclusions i'm just kind of scared from the stories that I've heard from people buying cars with no titles and then spending a lot of money or just having the car taken away because they did not have the title. I am completely willing to listen to your opinions and advice on this one. I own a 1978 280Z and I love the idea of owning a 240Z along with the 280Z.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

Depending on the laws of your state and how vehicle titles work you may be able to get a bonded title for the car. My questions is, if the city "owns" it why can't you just buy it from them or is it an impounded car? There should be some way to buy it without fear of recourse from a previous owner or insurance company. In my opinion if you are not able to secure such legal security then just leave it be, there are plenty of 240z's out there and this just may not be the one for you.
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Member ID
    CZCC-20299

Here in California I would first check with Department of Motor Vehicles. If the vehicle has not been registered in a long time, it will be out of their system and there will be no back registration fees required. Then it may be a process of holding a lien sale in order to get clear title. There are people that specialize in this-I just spoke with a guy that charges $195 to perform this process. He said it would take 30 days.

Member ID
    CZCC-22764

I just bought a z with no title from Indiana last march, PO had the local police run the vin, since car was originally from Ill I went online and was able to run a check online http://www.ilsos.gov/regstatus/, both came up clear.
    Jumped thru the paperwork hoops in Colorado and had the title in about 8 months. It wasn't a hard process, just took a bit

If your title search comes up clear go for it
    Bill

1974 early 260z, Unilite dizzy, MSD 6a, Blaster2 coil, some kind of coilover, Body kit....and all the Free rust I could want!

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

Would not let me look up the vin for the 240z but I can look up mine haha.

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Bonded titles run around $100-$200 here... I would get a buddy to run the Vin (or License Plate if the car still has one on it-or a tag receipt in the car.)

My Vert had been off the road for around 4 years but was previously registered here in my county, it had a title issue due to the death of its previous owner and his divorce from his wife just before( to relieve her from debt responsibility) took about six months to clear up, and left me with a surprise $800 bill at the tag office when I went to register it... Ask your questions to the people you will see to register and tag the car-and go back to them if you make it happen!
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

I bought my 240Z from Peoria this summer and haven't registered it in Iowa yet. Just for fun I ran the VIN at: http://www.ilsos.gov/regstatus/ and the title status came up! Of course I have the IL title and already knew it was clean. Nate, if this 240Z doesn't work out for you, I hope that you are able to locate one to buy in the future. I see you have a 280Z, so it's great to see more Z's in the Midwest! We pass right by Quincy on our way down to my wife's parents who live near Springfield, IL.

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

Yeah, it's a decent little town. A guy that works for the city stopped in at work today to get some parts for a city truck and we got to talking further. I asked if i was to buy this if the city can draw up a contract and make it a legal contract that states I own the car outright and if anything were to happen it would fall on the city and not me so I'm gonna be making my move to acquire this car.

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

The information you requested could not be processed at this time. Please contact the nearest Secretary of State Facility or call the toll free number. This is what shows up word for word when I just searched the VIN for this car using HLS30069776

Member ID
    CZCC-17702

In Idaho, when the state, city, or their agent sell an item that would normally require a title, it comes with paperwork that allows for it to be titled. If a vehicle is impounded by the city and taken to a lot by a tow truck, the tow company, after a specific time, can sell that vehicle with paperwork to get a clear title. I am betting that there isn't a city out there that has its own impound service. Any vehicle, abandoned, seized in a drug bust, what ever, was towed away by a company on the city's behalf. There is a paper trail. The city can't(ok shouldn't be able to) sell something that isn't theirs. I'm thinking you aren't asking the right people the right questions. What department now has the title? That is, when you give the 'city' money, who are you giving it too? I bet you can take a bill of sale and a statement of seizure or abandonment to the DMV and get a clear title. Also here, we can get a conditional title, used for old farm trucks, rat rods, abandoned cars, whatever, where we get a title, have to publish the information for a certain amount of days, and then if it isn't claimed in two years, it is a free and clear title. There is a way to get a title to this car.

72 240Z HLS30 49052 110 Persimmons/white stick
    72 240Z HLS30 70087 110 Persimmons/white auto 43K
    77 280Z HLS30 400336
    77 280Z Turbo HLS30 369869
    57 Volvo 444K
    57 IHS120
    85 500 SEC

Member ID
    CZCC-22764

Quote Originally Posted by z_ya View Post
    The information you requested could not be processed at this time. Please contact the nearest Secretary of State Facility or call the toll free number. This is what shows up word for word when I just searched the VIN for this car using HLS30069776
    forget the HSL30 that is the model number, use 069776 as the vin
    Last edited by bquiggle; 01-05-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Bill

1974 early 260z, Unilite dizzy, MSD 6a, Blaster2 coil, some kind of coilover, Body kit....and all the Free rust I could want!

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Quote Originally Posted by bquiggle View Post
    forget the HSL30 that is the model number, use 069776 as the vin
    Nope, the HLS30 is requited to identify the string of numbers as a specific car, a strictly numberic vin is limited to to few availalbe combinations-that is why all of it is printed on the "Vin tag".
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Quote Originally Posted by z_ya View Post
    Use HLS30 69776 or try HLS30-69776

Six Digit VIN's started in Aug of 72 with HLS30 100000

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

Have a wrecker service say it was abandoned, they picked it up and after 90 days no one claimed it then they get the title and sell the vehicle for storage fees. I've had one do it for me, paid him $100 to lie but it was a clean car. That's in Alabama though, probably a little smarter in Illinois.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

There is no title, this is the posing problem haha. But i have yet to confirm what a city worker said to me and that is. The city will work a note out with me saying that I own the car outright and any problems that might happen will come back on the city and not me. As for a title there is not one that is what the problem is haha i thought i said that. But anyway no one owns the title to this car the person they took it from did not have one and the family member that was helping retrieve it ended up walking away.

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

And no matter how i enter that VIN nothing shows up.

Member ID
    CZCC-5413

Most VIN systems are set up only for 17 digit VINs. After all, cars did not exist before 1981.
    73 240Z
    74 260Z

Blue's collection of tech tips - A great place to look for answers
    XenonS30 -The cheap source for FSMs
    Georgia Z Club
    Fiddling with Z Cars - Z car tips & tricks and pictures of my car-loving life.
    Steve's CARtography - Just car pictures.

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

Again.... I can look MY car up a 78 but not this one a 72. And an update. Acording to there legal department they can't even scrap the car or do anything without the title. They will keep me up to date as things go along, i guess they are trying something else cause they're tired of it taking up space.

Member ID
    CZCC-11908

You could always go down to the DMV yourself and request a title search, or get the applicable forms for the website listed below and do the same through the Springfield office.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...icles/faq.html

Motor Vehicle Records Division

How do I request information on vehicle titles and registrations?
    Complete a Secretary of State Information Request Form or contact:
    Secretary of State
    Record Inquiry Section
    501 S. Second St., Rm. 408
    Springfield, IL 62756
    217-785-3000

How much does vehicle information cost?
    Title search - $5
    Registration search - $5
    Title & Registration - $10
    Certified for Court $10.
    David

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

The '72 I just bought didn't have a title. Seller said before 1974 a bill of sale is all you need. Going to Courthouse to get a tag tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Member ID
    CZCC-27952

Sweet, glad to hear it man. All I know is city service called me and the head guy said that the legal department told him that. They can't even scrap the car without the title, they can't sell it or do anything with it without the title. That's all I know and that's coming from the people i'm trying to buy it from. So at least for now it's safe from getting scrapped.

Thread Information