Thread: 95Neoner's '71 Z

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Default 95Neoner's '71 Z

I bought this car ~3-4 months ago. I've had it up here for the last month. I actually bought this car closer to home, so I was forced to wait a couple months before getting to go on leave and seeing it in person myself. I got my dad to look at it for me after I found it on Craigslist and figured out I was looking at a "Series I." I took his word when he said it was a pretty rust-free car except a bit at the bottom of the fenders and a bit of surface rust under the car. He'd also said the interior was in great shape with the exception of the driver's seat just starting to separate inboard of the bolster. The other small issues were that the brakes vibrated a bit, the clutch could use replacing, and the signal lights weren't working. It had a Mallory coil installed, as well as pod filters on the SU carbs, and a full exhaust.

A little bit of use has cleared up the vibration from the front rotors although they're not particularly healthy looking, so I do have spares standing by waiting to go on, and I'm still babying the clutch and it's working fine. I've done some research into the lights and it turns out it's a common point of wiring failure so I'm looking at getting a new upgraded harness soon. We've still got to do some poking around at the rust, nothing major has surfaced yet and I plan to take care of getting the seat repaired a little later down the road when I get myself settled back into Ohio.

When I found the car on Craigslist and for the following couple of months, this is a little of what I had to go off of:

It took a couple months, but I finally made it to Ohio and was able to bring the car back here and not long after got a few pictures of my own.

The first round of parts came in and the first thing to get changed were the old plugs and wires. Since they were the easiest thing to swap, I got them done that night.

The car had a power steering pump hanging off the side of the motor and nothing else from the system so I've pulled the pump. The car is light enough to not need it anyway.

Next to go was the oil. Replaced it with Royal Purple HPS. Not sure who originally made the Nissan oil filters, looks like an STP blue. Guess that doesn't really mean much though.

This weekend I've installed a coolant overflow and did a bit of polishing one of the rear wheels (rain showed up and brought that to a stop) and continued cleaning in the engine bay. This is how everything sits as of now.

Also found out this car's in need of an ignition tune-up too, so that's been added to the list.

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Welcome to the group! What's the build date on your '71?
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

Great looking Z! Looks like the PO was sad to see her go!
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Quote Originally Posted by psdenno View Post
    Welcome to the group! What's the build date on your '71?
    Dennis
    It's a 1/71.

Thanks to both of you.

Member ID
    CZCC-25394

welcome... nice work so far.
    ~ rob.
    harrisburg, pa / raleigh, nc
    triangle z club

1974 260z (early) ~ 302 green/black (sold)
    1971 240z (late) ~ 901 silver/black (sold)
    1978 280z 2+2 ~ 611 burgundy/black (parted out)
    1971 240z (early) ~ 907 green/black (my long term mistress)

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Time to start learning about Zs. The part you removed and called a power steering pump was most likely the SMOG pump - unless you took off the alternator or an A/C compressor. Get a Haynes manual for the Z. It seems like you may be in over your head with your new 42 year old car.
    Dennis

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Time to start learning about Zs. The part you removed and called a power steering pump was most likely the SMOG pump - unless you took off the alternator or an A/C compressor. Get a Haynes manual for the Z. It seems like you may be in over your head with your new 42 year old car.
    Dennis
    I do have a shop manual, and was the smog pump belt driven?

It's under the front air filter in this shot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1379652_10202495336330641_644180330_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	67768

under the coil here:

Name:	1392559_10202545195697094_671075003_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	67769

Edit: It's definitely not the A/C compressor or alternator. Those are on the other side. You still solved one of the questions that had me scratching my head. (see below) Thanks.
    Last edited by 95neoner; 11-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28265

Hi,

Welcome and thanks for showing off your Z. It looks like its had loving owner(s)....nice shape.

Just curious: What's the VIN number? My Z is a 1/71 and, as such, I'm always looking to see where Z's of that production date are located.

George
    Original Registration and Warranty Card

Original owner of: HLS3018859 (Jan./71) ZCOOR Member # 178

'Storms Never Last'

Low Budget/High Value
    Member ID
    CZCC-20342

Quote Originally Posted by 95neoner View Post
    [/ATTACH]
    The Factory Service Manual (FSM) calls it an air pump. The drawing is of high quality.
    1976 280Z, with some minor modifications

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. 240Z View Post
    Hi,

Welcome and thanks for showing off your Z. It looks like its had loving owner(s)....nice shape.

Just curious: What's the VIN number? My Z is a 1/71 and, as such, I'm always looking to see where Z's of that production date are located.

George

Name:	10808271385_37a0c61ede_b.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	67821

That should answer your question. Saw your sig pic... the previous owners left me with a box full of paperwork as well, including that warranty booklet. This car's currently in CT, but December of next year I'm looking forward to moving it back down to Ohio again. I think the fact that the chassis only has 129k on it helps it's state quite a bit. It was garaged for the last 4-5 years. Guy bought it off his son because the son needed the money and was going to buy it back off him. Apparently that never happened and somehow managed to find it's way into my hands.

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Quote Originally Posted by Zed Head View Post
    The Factory Service Manual (FSM) calls it an air pump. The drawing is of high quality.
    I'll have to take a look. I'll be the first to admit I get lost rather easily with older cars, I didn't have my '76 Celica up here long enough to really get into it... nor do I think it had any smog equipment on it when I got it. That started in '69 right? Kind of hard to tell when it's not connected to anything I guess. I did find it rather odd that it seemed like there were no provisions for lines to go into the rack, although I'd assumed someone must have swapped in a manual rack. Wouldn't be the first time anyone had swapped racks. Oh well. So that just means it's completely useless to me then.
    Last edited by 95neoner; 11-11-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-28265

Thanks....Our Z's were made on the same day or within a day or two of one another!!

I hope that you will enjoy this site.

George
    Original Registration and Warranty Card

Original owner of: HLS3018859 (Jan./71) ZCOOR Member # 178

'Storms Never Last'

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. 240Z View Post
    Thanks....Our Z's were made on the same day or within a day or two of one another!!

I hope that you will enjoy this site.

George
    Ha... that's pretty cool. I'm sure I'll lurk for a while. I'm not terribly active on any of my other forums. I mostly just go looking for info and keep my log up-to-date. It's hard to find time to get up to speed with the 15-20 page logs. :/

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Quote Originally Posted by 95neoner View Post

Edit: It's definitely not the A/C compressor or alternator. Those are on the other side. You still solved one of the questions that had me scratching my head. (see below) Thanks.
    Yes, it's belt driven. When they go bad, they are often removed by owners rather than replaced. No power steering on the early Zs.
    Dennis

Member ID
    CZCC-28971

What was the original color? Do I see blue or gray in the engine bay? Cool car and great find. I'm wondering how much you paid too...
    1973 240z coming back to life

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Yes, it's belt driven. When they go bad, they are often removed by owners rather than replaced. No power steering on the early Zs.
    Dennis
    Yes it's the smug/air pump I removed mine to, I hate eco add ons
    Nice 240z by the way !
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Quote Originally Posted by GeoJoe View Post
    What was the original color? Do I see blue or gray in the engine bay? Cool car and great find. I'm wondering how much you paid too...
    It appears to have been a metallic blue at one point. It peeks through in multiple places on the car. Look right above the exhaust tip, that's probably the most prominent place it shows through.

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Quote Originally Posted by bartsscooterservice View Post
    Yes it's the smug/air pump I removed mine to, I hate eco add ons
    Nice 240z by the way !
    Thanks. Your log is one of the few I've read though when I was lurking around as a guest. Lots of good work going on there too. I was actually deployed last year and we visited Norway for a couple weeks. It's gotta be one of the most aesthetically pleasing countries anywhere. I was quite impressed with the number of English speakers there as well seeing as how both of our languages are quite different. If only we took that initiative over here... bit on the expensive side though. God forbid you wanted a beer or burger.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

A little late, but welcome to the club anyways.
    Thats truly a nice find you have and it looks in good condition from the photo's.

I remember back in the eighties what a Datsun dealer said to my mate when he was complaining about rust in his 240Z floor after a wndow leaking. It goes something like: Listen mate, rust isn't an option, its standard with those cars. My mate just stood there gob smacked and didnt know what to say.
    What Im trying to say is finding one almost rust free is very hard indeed and something you should cherish.

Goodluck and enjoy the ride
    Chas
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

^ I think the whole car was badly sealed back in the day. Seems a common mislooked problem for wet floors is the firewall seal leaking under the cowl.

I found this problem to just lately, and I'm currently trying to fix it, see this topic: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/b...st-repair.html
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Justin,

Welcome and you've got a nice Z! Mine was manufactured in 2/71, which was the first month of production for the Series II. Even though mine isn't a Series I, it still shares some of the same features such as the dash, center console, non-reclining seats, etc. I enjoyed the photos of your car and look forward to more updates!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-29838

Chas- Never to late, Thank you! There's a couple small places I've noticed that I'll have to fix, but for the most part the car is still in great shape.

Robert - Wow... I didn't realize they switched that early in the year... so was the series I around for about 13 months then? No wonder why I couldn't find another for sale when I was about to buy this car! I'm just getting started, so plenty more updates to come. Thanks!

I felt really lucky getting ahold of a series I. When I first saw the car though, I was amazed at just how good of shape it was in. I was told this is a 129k mi car and was garaged and never left, just got started up and run regularly for the last 5 years and I believe every bit of it. One random feature I'm really liking about this car is the manual choke. I don't have that on my Celica. I certainly like the extra little bit of control, even if it is a little less efficient.

I didn't include my picture of it, but I do have a Moroso battery box to install still too so I can fix that bungee-corded in battery. I'm also waiting on my transmission and diff fluid to get here. I just ordered wiring harnesses to replace the stock ones for the headlights, tail lights, signal lights, and parking lights, and I also got new rubber strips for the outer ends of the bumpers. I'm going to pull those bumpers off, hit them with metal polish with the buffer and probably remove the horns while I have them off. Just a few short-term weekend plans if the weather holds up decent. I can't keep my garage heated, too many openings to outside unfortunately and it's rather close quarters to work in, hence why all of these pictures are in the driveway. That aftermarket door molding needs to go too.
    Last edited by 95neoner; 11-13-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Thread Information