Thread: Poly rack bushings

Member ID
    CZCC-30495

Default Poly rack bushings

I've never changed a rack and pinion rack bushings, but I'm pretty surprised how big the poly bushings are (Energy suspension 7-18102).

I don't have a picture, but when I rest the clamps on top of the rack with bushings, the clamps are about 1cm away from touching the crossmember where the rack rests.

So I guess I just have to torque down the clamps pretty hard?

By the way, I made sure I had the thinner bushings on the driver's side and the thicker ones on the passenger side.
    Last edited by aochider; 06-23-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-24724

They're snug fitting compared to the old rubber. Be sure to use plenty of the lube that you get with the kit, it'll creak later on if you don't. Here's what helped me the most, Z Tech Tips Suspension (AtlanticZ.ca) || | | | | | | |
    1972 240Z #918 New Sight Orange
    1977 280Z #305 Light Blue Metallic
    1972 240Z #110 Persimmons Red

Boat Anchor Repairman Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-24608

Did you verify that the bushings are completely down in the receiving grooves on the rack? When I did my poly, the bushings were not a very good fit and I had to shave down the inside corners on the bushings to get them to sit well against the rack.

Here's the details if you haven't seen it already: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ly-refurb.html

Does the slit in the bushing close up before you clamp it?

Remember, the bushings are supposed to be tight as that's what keeps the rack locked in place. There's not supposed to be any play and the poly should be compressed some upon assy, but if those bushings don't fit down in the slots right, there will be too much crush and the bushings will deform in directions you don't want.

Member ID
    CZCC-30495

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Did you verify that the bushings are completely down in the receiving grooves on the rack? When I did my poly, the bushings were not a very good fit and I had to shave down the inside corners on the bushings to get them to sit well against the rack.

Here's the details if you haven't seen it already: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ly-refurb.html

Does the slit in the bushing close up before you clamp it?

Remember, the bushings are supposed to be tight as that's what keeps the rack locked in place. There's not supposed to be any play and the poly should be compressed some upon assy, but if those bushings don't fit down in the slots right, there will be too much crush and the bushings will deform in directions you don't want.
    Thanks for the tips!

I don't want to have to carve them out more (poly is a PITA), but it is good to know that others have had the same issue.

Member ID
    CZCC-26208

I bought new rack bolts when I did the suspension rebuild on my '72. The new bolts were slightly longer than the originals. I put just a little silicone grease on the metal straps and made sure I tightened them down evenly. In the end I had no issues getting them installed. Check out the resto thread in my signature if you want to see pictures.
    08/1970 240z Series-1 #8011 - Silver, black int., 2.4L I-6, 5spd, 90% restored.
    06/1973 VW Karmann Ghia - Black convertible, 4spd, 1600cc air-cooled engine.
    11/2013 Scion FR-S - Silver, 6spd, a car with the soul of a Z for the modern times.
    Restoration thread of my old '72 240z -> http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/o...1972-240z.html

Thread Information