Thread: NEWS: KPGC10 Nissan Skyline GT-R sells for $242,000

Member ID
    CZCC-4

Default NEWS: KPGC10 Nissan Skyline GT-R sells for $242,000

Japanese Nostalgic Car Has Just Posted the Following:

08-16-2014 07:09 PM
    We will have more detailed coverage early next week, but we just wanted to tell you that the first KPGC10 Skyline GT-R to sell at auction broke expectations with a $220,000 sale in Monterey. RM Auctions expected it to go … Continue reading

Click here to view more.

Member ID
    CZCC-3193

Hi,
    Now I am just curious how much it would be going to be
    if a Z432 was there...GTRs were sold 2500 units ,
    Z432 was sold 420 ...
    Z432-R was less than 25 ...

Kats
    Last edited by kats; 08-17-2014 at 05:15 AM.
    Katsuhiko Endo
    1970 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-02156 (03/70)
    L24-005562

1970 FAIRLADY Z432
    PS30-00088 (01/70)
    S20-000884

1972 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-60213 (12/71)
    L24-072419

JAPAN
    Welcome to my web site,
    http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903

Member ID
    CZCC-17329

C10 GTR vs Z432, from a pure price perspective: We were having this conversation last night, and for what it's worth, here's what we thought: (With the caveat that no one knows for sure) the consensus was that the C10 GTR would be seen as the more valuable of the two in the US and Euro market, based partly on popularity with younger buyers, along with numerous factors like provenance, the GTR name, etc. This particular GTR garnered the most online interest of ALL of RMs cars, even though it was relatively unknown to the typical US auction buyer. The staff I talked to made it abundantly clear that RM has taken notice of this. I'd venture to say we will see more GTRs consigned in the coming year, especially now that the car did far better than expected.

The Z432, while being the more recognizable car thanks to the 240Z, would not be as sought after by collectors, because there's already a plethora of substitute product in the form of base models available stateside. Further, those 240Z models are the 'Icons' here, with well-established lower price points.

The R is in a league of its own, and will likely remain a mystery car to anyone outsize Z circles.
    Last edited by xs10shl; 08-17-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-3193

Thank you xs10shl, I undersdand the consensus about GTR and Z432.

If a Z432 sold 70k-100k at the auction, that would not be surprising for us.

However GTR and Cosmo sports, we can buy them 70k-100k in Japan.
    It looks insane for me.

Toyota 2000GT too, 300k-350k is avarage price.

I understand it is not number of production, rare car is not always attractive at
    the auction.

Kats

Quote Originally Posted by xs10shl View Post
    C10 GTR vs Z432, from a pure price perspective: We were having this conversation last night, and for what it's worth, here's what we thought: (With the caveat that no one knows for sure) the consensus was that the C10 GTR would be seen as the more valuable of the two in the US and Euro market, based partly on popularity with younger buyers, along with numerous factors like provenance, the GTR name, etc. This particular GTR garnered the most online interest of ALL of RMs cars, even though it was relatively unknown to the typical US auction buyer. The staff I talked to made it abundantly clear that RM has taken notice of this. I'd venture to say we will see more GTRs consigned in the coming year, especially now that the car did far better than expected.

The Z432, while being the more recognizable car thanks to the 240Z, would not be as sought after by collectors, because there's already a plethora of substitute product in the form of base models available stateside. Further, those 240Z models are the 'Icons' here, with well-established lower price points.

The R is in a league of its own, and will likely remain a mystery car to anyone outsize Z circles.
    Katsuhiko Endo
    1970 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-02156 (03/70)
    L24-005562

1970 FAIRLADY Z432
    PS30-00088 (01/70)
    S20-000884

1972 DATSUN 240Z
    HLS30-60213 (12/71)
    L24-072419

JAPAN
    Welcome to my web site,
    http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903

Member ID
    CZCC-17329

With respect to the Z432 at a US auction- we will know soon enough what one will bring. We'll see one within a year, I'd venture to say.

One thing I'd like to say about the Cosmo specifically is that it was to my eye a top car, probably better than new. Cars in this condition are rarely available for purchase. You've likely come across this same thing when you see another Z432 which may look nice in pictures, but once you look more closely in person, you begin to see problems, such as incorrect pieces, rust, or poor accident repair. When you add up the time and costs to fix these problems, you get to tens of thousands of dollars pretty quickly.

That said, I'm thinking we will see a realignment of asking prices from sellers over the next year.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

There are two Nissan Fairlady Z 432's for sale in N.C. The same guy that just auctioned the GT-R is offering them. He was asking $175K for them before the auction. He also imported a 240 ZG and sold it already.

I understand the rational presented by the group xs10shl talked to - but that would not agree with the guys that I know that are serious Collectors. Most of them live East of the Mississippi or over-seas. They felt that since the Datsun 240Z is so well known, there would be significantly more interest in and demand for a Z 432. At least they would have been more interested as they already love and own 240Z's.

On the other hand none of them so far is a buyer at $175K for the examples here. {that may change over the next few weeks}. They are willing to pay a premium for cars already shipped and though Customs etc - as that represents lower risk to them, than buying overseas. The conflict seems to be just how much premium - $100K might be too much.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    I understand the rational presented by the group xs10shl talked to - but that would not agree with the guys that I know that are serious Collectors. Most of them live East of the Mississippi or over-seas. They felt that since the Datsun 240Z is so well known, there would be significantly more interest in and demand for a Z 432. At least they would have been more interested as they already love and own 240Z's.

On the other hand none of them so far is a buyer at $175K for the examples here. {that may change over the next few weeks}. They are willing to pay a premium for cars already shipped and though Customs etc - as that represents lower risk to them, than buying overseas. The conflict seems to be just how much premium - $100K might be too much.
    (My bold highlights).

Carl,
    If these guys you know are "serious Collectors" then why won't they buy overseas? If they are serious about niche Japanese market Japanese cars, then Japan is the place to buy them.

The very same KPGC10 that just sold for a total of 242k USD could have been purchased for half that amount just a few months ago when it was still for sale with a well known Japanese dealer. RM even used the Japanese dealer's photos to promote the sale. For me, it just makes the buyer - not to mention the final underbidder(s) - look like a neophyte.

I'm still not sure what I think about this auction result. Maybe over the next few weeks or months I'll finally come to a view about it. As a KPGC10 owner people might expect that I'd be in some way 'happy' at the result, but I'm not. It makes me think that a new crowd of know-nothing 'investors' are going to be looking closely at the cars and that all sorts of chancers and fly-by-nights are going to be looking at ways to take advantage of that and make some money out of them. When there's more than one link in the chain that doesn't really have the depth of knowledge required, it starts to get a little bit risky. Somebody is going to fall into a really big elephant trap by buying a fake or at least something that is less than what it should be, and that's going to have an effect on the good cars too.

Genuine and long-held admiration, backed up with research and quest for knowledge is good. Those are the kind of people I'd like to see owning these cars. Spontaneous and whimsical purchasers are quite likely not that deeply interested, and I would not trust their motives.

Thread Information