Thread: 300hp?

Member ID
    CZCC-3399

Thumbs up 300hp?

ey all,
    just wonderin out of intrest,
    wat mods would it take to get 300hp out of a stock zx turbo engine in a 240z??? is efi the only way to go in this senario? or could one use somthing like a tripple 45ml weber set up? how much cash should i be looking at for putting out this kind of horspower.

thanks
    james

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

We talking 280zx turbo, or 300zx turbo?

Member ID
    CZCC-2972

If you are talking about just using the turbo engine (without the turbo), write to Dave Jarmen of DJ Road and Race:
    david.jarman@bt.com
    He's building me an engine and I've seen the rolling road print outs of similar spec engines and it's not far from 300 bhp !
    Photo (I hope) enclosed !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engineside(1).jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	1469  
    1970 240Z wreck
    1973 240Z (almost boringly quick) !
    1977 260Z 2+2
    1981 280ZX 2 seater
    1982 280ZX 2 seater
    1989 300ZX N/A 2+2

Club Datsun-France - for the cars and the people but most of all for the fun !

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-1098

Default if im understanding you

it would be a little hard and really expensive to get 300 hp out of an N/A straight six application, yes you could use webers but when when fuel injection is so much better.

on that same note the price you would pay for a set of webers would almost buy you a goos stand alone fuel management system from someone like SDS.

now if you were to drop a 2.8 turbo motor into your lil 240, 300 hp would not be hard to reach at all.

Member ID
    CZCC-3399

hi again
    it would be from a 280zx and what are the type of mods that you would recomend to push this kinda bhp outa tha stock engine.
    thanx
    james

Member ID
    CZCC-3399

ohh yer i do mean stock 280zx turbo engine

Member ID
    CZCC-1354

I'm not a turbo guy, but I'll venture a few guesses: T3/T4 turbo, bigger injectors, intercooler, boost controller, fuel management system. 300hp shouldn't be difficult at all, I know of one making 350rwhp on the stock bottom end at HybridZ.org. Forget about triple carbs. FI is the ONLY way to go for a turbo.
    Dan Baldwin
    '71 240Z 3.1, 255 rwhp
    COMSCC #7, '02, '03 SPB class champion

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-1098

Red face Ahhh young grasshopper

Go to this site, read, learn and be enlightened!!

your quest is but pultry to the gains possible

Http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt

oh did i also mention before he changed from this set up he was at 450 RWHP in a daily driver

Member ID
    CZCC-3809

Default listen here

buy a big bore kit from motorsport auto for 1800 and build a 3.1 stroker turbo motor with it LEAVE IT Fuel injected

a t4 turbo upgrade intercooler boost controller blow off valve and upgrade your fuel injectors

BUT DONT OVER BOOST YOUR TURBO

Member ID
    CZCC-3005

For me a 300hp L series is exactly that 83/280zx turbo with full drive train, high flow TO4, big intercooler, after market injection and management system.

But the real problem here is the prep of a classic Z to handle the power increase safely BIG BUCKS.

My 2c
    Steve

Member ID
    CZCC-1860

You can get 300HP at the crank easy with the stock L28ET long block. There are people out there pushing over 400HP with a junkyard motor.

Of course to do this, you need a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, intercooling, aftermarket engine management, and lot of dyno time.

My 240 has a 83' turbo long block, and the following:

36lb/hr injectors
    spearco intercooler
    60mm throttle body
    programable engine management
    crank triggered ignition
    T4b/T3 turbo
    custom downpipe
    etc., etc.

Over the next month or so I'll be getting it back on the dyno. It's incredibly fast. I figure it's in the 300HP ball park, but I won't know for sure until it's fine tuned on the dyno.

As far as the drivetrain handling it, no problem. I figure my car is putting around 270-300ft-lbs to the wheels, and the 280Z 5speed is holding up fine. I'm running a 3.7:1 R200 LSD, and it shows know signs of failure. I run this car in autocrosses and in 2 to 3 track events a year (it gets driven hard).

It will roast both tires in second gear easily.

Pete

Member ID
    CZCC-3305

Just my 2 cents mind you,but just drop a mild V-8 in that,its cheaper and I believe more reliable.Ive gone 525hp with no lag or overboost.he,he.Peace

Member ID
    CZCC-3040

bet ya have an auto though.

I'd like to keep my manual.

It's actually cheaper to go L28et.

The Z drivetrain can handle the extra HP.

Member ID
    CZCC-3627

where can i get a rebuilt L28et?
    Canton Ly
    77' 280z
    85' Toyota Cressida 5spd

Member ID
    CZCC-1860

Just find a low mileage 280ZX turbo donar car. You want the whole EFI setup too. I've seen L28ET short blocks with over 100k miles put 350HP to the wheels (with a lot of head work, bit turbo, etc, etc.). The short blocks are very durable.

mmm Z cars.. ohhh bbabyy PrOxLaMuS©'s Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4022

Short Blocks... Long Blocks?

Where is the difference in the short blocks and long blocks?
    and where are the short blocks found in, compared to the long blocks?

I thought that all the L28e's are virtually the same except the heads?

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars
    www.putfile.com/proxlamus
    SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Talking Short and Long Blocks

Proxlamus the later F54 block is more durable due to extra webbing in the block around the cylinders, both are durable but the later are just a bit better. .

I know a short motor is half a motor ie: just the block.
    I'm not 100% on the definition of what you'd call a short block or a long block.
    I've generally heard it used in terms of V8's so it's never been my forte' can someone explain for me also?

mmm Z cars.. ohhh bbabyy PrOxLaMuS©'s Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4022

so the later F54 engines are the long block L28e's?
    and anything before is short block?

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars
    www.putfile.com/proxlamus
    SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

No I don't believe that was what he meant.
    I think because the L engine is a smaller capacity motor he refers to it as short block.

Better off waiting for someone to explain it who knows the exact definition as I don't really know it myself sorry.

Member ID
    CZCC-1469

Default long and short

A long block is any "special complete" engine minus outer items such as valve covers, flywheel, oil pan, timing cover, intake and exhaust manifolds and harmonic balancer.

Generally, a short block is any long block engine minus internal components like cylinder head(s), oil pump, gaskets, lifters, sometimes timing components and camshaft.
    I reside in Oklahoma and live at the wheel of my 240Z

gimmie the Z or he's toast

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Talking Thought so just wasn't sure.

I thought so but I didn't wanna give misleading info because I wasn't 100% sure.
    Thanks .

So another words he was saying that the L engine block is very durable and i tend to agree as most other Z nuts will tell you.
    One review on the Z said the block was bomb proof well I agree it's very strong.

Member ID
    CZCC-4164

Default short vs long block

Short block and long block are exactly the same except a long block comes with head/heads installed. Short blocks are assembled but don't include head/heads. Short blocks are popular in the hot rod V8 market because most people prefer to choose their own heads. Short blocks are cheaper because the don't include head/heads.

Member ID
    CZCC-1860

GTZZZ, you are correct.

A short block is from the oil pan to the cylinder mounting surface (deck). It includes pistons, rods, crank, etc. A long block is a complete engine, except for any external accesories (alternator, PS pump, AC compressor, etc.).

The easiest way to do the swap is find a good running 280ZX turbo, that may be rusted out, or damaged. From it you can take the engine, the wiring harness, fuel pump, ECU, and anything else that might be usefull (tranny, rear end, wheels). I did this swap on a freinds car, and he hasn't stop smiling since the day he first drove it. You need some electrical skills to do the swap, but it is more than worth the effort.

Pete

Member ID
    CZCC-3130

canton Ly, for a good engine rebuilt cheap, try Ma's auto in hayward, i may be working there soon, not sure about L motor rebuilt, but they just did a lexus 6 banger rebuild for 700!!!
    they do rebuilds for shops a lot cheaper but im figuring about 5-600 for L motor, its so dang cheap im farming mine off to them

300 hp from the L turbo- is nothing. i have 242 dyno computed hp out of my car, with stock innards and bolt on stuff. Im using stock efi and limited to 6k rpm with the ignition curve right now and stock efi. I could sneak 260-270 out of the stock injectors if i had a standalone efi, which i will be doing sooner than later. with a simple injector swap, I could hit 300hp before i would have to do a turbo upgrade, im gonna throw a ball bearing t4 and really kick some ass.
    i seriously believe an any L28 can make 300hp turbo, if you maintain a proper air fuel ratio.
    25mpg and 10psi. holla

Member ID
    CZCC-3040

I want one!!

Member ID
    CZCC-2205

Its fascinating reading all the comments the Turbo guys wont change and neither will the NA boys.... but there is a well recognized Z dealer in Melbourne punching out 360bhp NA out of the L28 stroked to a 3.1 running Triple Webbers and by geez do these cars fly!!!! long live the NA!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

At sedate power levels, money and time can equate the NA and the Turbo output, but it is all about getting air and fuel in and out, There is no way an engine with 2800ccs an no turbo can get as much air through it as a similar engine with a pressureized intake.
    Personaly, I would rather save all of the money and time, and still have all of the performance with room for more!

I respect the all of work, money, and time that goes into making a powerful NA L series engine, I just don't think it is necessary to spend that much for power. I do think there is value in keeping the stock appearance and having a "wolf in sheeps clothing!" But diferent carbs, velocity stacks and the like(though beautiful) are still deviations from the stock appearance, and the stretch from that to a turbo isn't too great of a distance.

A V8 swap is generally a cheeper way to 300hp-a running Junkyard engine can put you there with all of the pieces for close to $1,500 plus the car(engine and Tranny$800, Conversion parts $350, Radiator $200, $100 or so for other supplies . I bought a running, complete low mileage rust bucket 280ZX Turbo for $361, and upgraded turbo for $450, and a complete Engine management system for $700. I sold the left overs from the 280Zx turbo for $675(whaletale, louvers, body trim, interior trim, injectors, and stock engine management, etc) So my cost to setup the turbo engine is (361+450+700-675) $836, and everyhting is genuine Nissan and bolts up!
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Talking Turbo VS Na.

That's a very good point but unfortunately in Australia we can't get a 280zx Turbo from a junk yard.

Although turbo is a tempting idea. I must say.
    However you can reach nearly 300HP with the stock SU's so we will see when the time comes.

Thread Information