Thread: Wierd whining sound coming from the engine compartment...

Member ID
    CZCC-3738

Question Wierd whining sound coming from the engine compartment...

There is this wierd sound that is coming from the engine compartment. It seems to be there when I start it, but when it starts moving it is still there but not as much. It sounds like an aweful whine. The car just started making the sound today. The only thing that I did different was not warm it up because I was in a rush, but I don't think that would be it. I thought it was coming from the fan or the fan shroud, but I am not certain. It is an early 260z. If any one can help or give ideas that would be great. Thanks.
    -Ben
    "A real sports car chooses its owner because it has a soul. If you're chosen, you'll love it, and the more it requires care and maintenance the more you love it." -Mr. Morita (Z432 owner)

RLS30-034436
    305 GP Light Blue

Member ID
    CZCC-3699

Wink whining sound

have you seen the cat lately??

HLS30165540
    Member ID
    CZCC-1052

It would really help us if you could pin point where the sound is coming from. It might be a bearing but unless you can pin point it who knows which one. Take a long screw driver phillips or flat tip it doesn't matter the longer the better.
    Place the tip of the screw driver against a stable piece of metal close to a bearing while the engine is running (watch out for that fan!) put it as close to the bearing as you can.

Check the alternator, water pump, air pump & A/C.

Next put your ear against the handle of the screw driver and listen. Move the screw driver around to different parts and listen. Basically you are using the screw driver like a stethascope.

Eventually you will find where the whine is coming from.
    The 1973 240Z 165540 Slightly modified. L28, 5sp, cam, headers, MSD 6AL, power windows, power door locks, leather seats, custom this and custom that.

Member ID
    CZCC-3738

Default Thanks...

I will definately do that stethescope procedure today and post what I hear.
    -Ben
    "A real sports car chooses its owner because it has a soul. If you're chosen, you'll love it, and the more it requires care and maintenance the more you love it." -Mr. Morita (Z432 owner)

RLS30-034436
    305 GP Light Blue

Member ID
    CZCC-908

Lightbulb

Might be your fan clutch. Had it happen but it would whine only at a certain RPM and when it was warmed up. Might be worth looking into. As Bruce suggested, I would also be looking for that cat!!
    Chief Air Traffic Controller
    Naval Air Station Lemoore, Ca.
    IZCC 9484

Member ID
    CZCC-3738

Question what sound????

I have not heard that sound anymore since I wanted to go in there and check what it was. Figures.. I am going to be driving it from the Bay Area to Orange county next week for the Motorsport Z nationals so that will be the test of what that sound was. I want to find that kitty. Darn. Thanks a lot.
    -Ben

RLS30-034436
    305 GP Light Blue

Thread Information