Thread: Best sounding 240/280 exhaust

Member ID
    CZCC-3622

Default Best sounding 240/280 exhaust

I know this has been talked about ad nausium but:

Having had a couple of different exhausts (spent a good chunk of money on the last one) and heard a few other Z's I can say that the range in sound is quite amazing. I could really use some guidance because it will save me a lot of money-- you see, if I don't get it right, I'm just going to keep trying til I do.

Anyone think theirs couldn't sound better? If so, what do you have?

I'm looking at a bunch of stuff. I'm keeping my Clifford Research header (dual 3 into 2) but thinking about:

merging to a single 2.25 or 2.5 all the way back with

Round:
    Magnaflow
    Injen
    5zigen
    Supertrap
    etc.

Car is NA with 2.8 and SU's-- mild port work and big valves.

Also thinking about adding back a small center resonator as necessary. Anyone got some mp3's of your car like they did with the 350z exhaust in the SportZMagazine test this month?
    Garrett

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Soon I'll have an MPEG of my car driving past at 5000rpm with dual exhausts sounds pretty mean to me.
    I'll let u know when it's ready may require divx codec is that ok with you?

Member ID
    CZCC-1297

OOOOOO...I'm looking forward to hearing that!!! I have a dual setup on mine.....and love it!!

Zedguy

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...&threadid=8953

Here ya go it's ready for download .

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

Gav,

I had the Bright idea of hanging a PC microphone out the rear hatch and my lap top record a WAV file of me running up through the gears on a freeway on-ramp.

You see, it's my most humble opinion, that MY 240Z has THE BEST exhaust note EVER. And, that it is my duty to share that sweet song with my Z brothers and sisters.

Well, the first second of the recording sounds pretty good. Then the wind noise drownds everthing out. Back to the drawing board.
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles
    Visit My Other Photo Site

Member ID
    CZCC-3312

Victor,

You might try getting some foam baffle type cover for the microphone, sort of like the microphones mounted on motorcycle helmets for the riders to talk to each other.
    -Andrew

03/72 240Z HLS30-70xxx - R.I.P. 2011/01/04

Member ID
    CZCC-3622

Ok Zedguy, Gav and Victor,

Don't keep me in suspense. You've got great sounding systems... Now tell me what you have. 2.4, 2.8? header, stock manifold? single or dual pipes? from header or manifold down to one then back to two or two all the way? diameter of pipes? glasspacks? mufflers? what brand?

Thanks!

Garrett
    Garrett

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

MSA 6 to one coated
    2 1/2 Bent by Morse Mufflers of Burbank California (a true pipe artist)
    Turbo style muffer
    Chrome Straight tip, ending 2'' past the bumper.
    Simple, uncomlpicated, Quiet when compared to my roadster! (It only sets off a few car alarms, the Roadster sets them all off!)
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

I have a rather interesting combo which i'm sure gives it that exotic note.
    E88 head(With larger L28 Sized Valves).
    Mild Duration Cam(Slightly rough Idle).
    Headers(Not sure which brand).
    The dual pipes run down the car into two resonators which i don't know the brand of either but they look like glass packed ones.
    THen straight out the back.
    the only exception is that there was some steel wool slotted into place held in by a couple of screws towards the back.
    WIthout these it sounds like an atomic bomb and has a high pitch to it in high revs, sounds great through tunnels as it echo's but i prefer it with the steel wool in to give it a slightly less rough bark.
    It's like Victors roaster set's off every alarm is very noisy at idle but to be honest I wouldn't want it any other way .

Member ID
    CZCC-1297

I have to say, the exhaust has to be one of the most fun additions to your Z!!! I know I've posted this before, but I really believe it: It defines the personality of your Z!!

My dual system?

-3 into 2 Header
    -twice pipe system customized. Cut off the 'collector pipe' and ran each pipe into the header. (3 cylinders per pipe)
    -twin glasspacks at the rear.

I love the rumble at idle!! I love the roar under load!! To me, it sounds like a classic '60's supercar!!! (I've even had people comment the same....so I accomplished what I set out to do)

Zedguy

Member ID
    CZCC-3622

Thanks for the info guys. What diameter pipes are you guys with the dual pipes running?

Gav, your exhaust goes straight back after the resonators? Did you go under the fuel tank? Your system doesn't run out the stock location in the rear panel?

Also, I'd like to hear from some others about what they have!

Garrett
    Garrett

Member ID
    CZCC-3659

Default well in my 260z....

ok this is my first car and i dont know alot about all the names of parts etc....... but ill give it a go.....

i have the twin SU roundtops in an E88 head (stock)
    that goes into the genie extractors....then to a 2 1/2 inch pipe for about 1-2 feet then into a hotdog and out in a 2inch pipe then at the rear end of the line it goes into a flare back upto 2 1/2 then into my dump pipe (turbo type muffler big chrome one )
    i dont consider this an ideal setup but its still pretty loud
    i would like to one day change it to 2 1/2 all the way through for a bit more of a rumble, but what it has no seems to be doing ok, every time i drive down a street people look up and yell at me to bag it up (heh heh gotta love that)
    take care yall,
    mellow
    flogg it.......

Member ID
    CZCC-1303

Default Re: well in my 260z....

Originally posted by mellow
    ok this is my first car and i dont know alot about all the names of parts etc....... but ill give it a go.....
    You did pretty good for someone who "dont know alot about all the names"
    DatsunVic CZC1303
    ダットサンビク
    72 HLS30 94071
    72 510
    70 SRL311 13136
    71 PL521
    Los Angeles

Dangerously Undrmedicated blitzkraig's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3685

Bleah, just got exhaust installed on my car today. Stock L24 with 280zx dist conversion, 6-1 MSA header, and Supertrapp muffler. I sound like a friggin rice rocket (wanted a nice deep almost V8 sound). Oh well, I'll live with it. At least it's one of the original rice rockets, and I built the thing!

Member ID
    CZCC-3659

Default ...

You did pretty good for someone who "dont know alot about all the names"
    cheers Victor Laury,
    my 260z is my first car (my dad convinced me to get it) and i love it, ive been trying to read up a bit on it....
    and ive been doing it up a bit of corse....
    mine has a nice jap sounding idle but then when i stomp it i have a sweet rumble!!!
    take care all,
    mellow
    flogg it.......

mmm Z cars.. ohhh bbabyy PrOxLaMuS©'s Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4022

want a nice sound?

try the MSA Twice Pipes exhuast with the 3 into 2 headers.. and twin glass-packs

Sounds deep on idle, and as people say "Ferrari" style on the top end

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars
    www.putfile.com/proxlamus
    SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!

Member ID
    CZCC-4169

I have the 2.4 with weber dgv's and msa 6-1 header into a 2.5inch exhaust with a borla xs straight through muffler. The muffler is a straight pipe that goes from the left side of the muffler to the right, and is perforated on the inside and surrounded by fiberglass type material. It has a 2.5 inch steel tip on it. It sounds very good in my opinion.

I use to have some no name muffler on there with a HUGE tip, you know what I am talking about, the ones that look like foldgers coffee cans tied to the back of civics. Anway I got this new system in and it sounds better but there is NO backpressure.

I kind of want this because I am planning some other free flow mods to the engine, but not sure what i can do in the mean time to get maybe a little bit more power that might be lost because of it.

Anyway here is a funny exhaust story.

I am going to home depot because the bolts from my header to the 2.5inch exhause have fallen off and it sounds like satan himself. I pull up to a stoplight and the regular old harley dude comes puttin on up, and gives me a little nod because he likes the vintage car right. Then he gives me a little thunder from his pipes and looks over to see my reaction. I decided to give him a good 4,000rpm yulp from my car w/o the exhaust mind you, and it totally blew his harley away. He looks over at me and says "Son that is the first time thats ever happend to me"
    I drove away with a big smile on my face

anyway, anyone have experience with straight through mufflers

thanks

Member ID
    CZCC-3002

When my exhaust fell off Xmas eve last year, i decided (well, the decision was already made i suppose ) i got a set of Genie extractors (6-2-1) with a 3.5inch collector which tapered to a 2.5inch exhaust with a hot-dog resonator and a small rear muffler. Sounds awesome, cost was reasonable (just). Is a little loud though, cops take an interest when i go past. But the sound is worth it....

Gav's 240z sounds sweet as... mine is similar...

Life is too short not to own a zed...

1973 240Z - HL30 103488

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Thanks Mick .
    I met a guy here in Melbourne named Costa or Kosta not sure how he spells it but his 240z has a pretty mean sound to it also.

Member ID
    CZCC-4610

Talking

my car has a 2.8, with a msa header fi with msa big tb, cam and some other motor goodness, 2.5" or 2 3/4" exaust (haven't measured it) to a little 2 chamber flowmaster back in the rear with no seperate resonater. It is somewhere between too loud and way too loud!! When I bought the car in houston I had to drive it back to dallas (4 hours away) we were stuck in traffic it seemed like forever, so when I finally got on an overpass I put a little gas into it. there was a harley type on a bike with loud pipes in the right lane and I saw him turn and look at me to see what was drowning out the sound of his hog!! I almost hit the barrier I was laughing so hard...

BW
    <<<<1975 280Z L28E header, flowmaster, 60mm TB, aftermarket fuel rail, custom cold air, aeromotive fuel regulator, corbeau buckets, front/rear strut bars, moto lita steering wheel, 5 point harness, 14 X 7 turbines w/ 235/60/14's, headlight covers, sidestripes, fender mount mirrors>>> SOLD AND MISSED

Now have 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon - so is life

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

I think our cars are very similar in DB range, I came in at 119db at 4500rpm, and it drowns out harley's too.

When I first got it I couldn't stop smiling at how loud it would be when I gave it stick.
    The best is near my Uni there is a train bridge and if the car is warm enough by the time I go through there i sometimes open past halfway and it echo's so loud it sometimes hurts my ears when i have my window down.

The best kick I get is from the people at the cafe's under the bridge area it must blow their ears off I'm mean I know but I always think of top gun when I do it .

My girlfriend who is usually next to me is Goose and I'm Maverick .

Member ID
    CZCC-4610

Negative, Ghost Rider, the patern is full.
    <<<<1975 280Z L28E header, flowmaster, 60mm TB, aftermarket fuel rail, custom cold air, aeromotive fuel regulator, corbeau buckets, front/rear strut bars, moto lita steering wheel, 5 point harness, 14 X 7 turbines w/ 235/60/14's, headlight covers, sidestripes, fender mount mirrors>>> SOLD AND MISSED

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

Mellow , looks like someone did there home work in doing the plumbing. You would think that the larger piping would equate to more power, not necessarly so . 2 1/2" is great for a race engine running at high rpms all the time . The low end torque will suffer but it doesnt matter on the track since you are on the pipe all the time. If you want lower end power you need some backpressure. The 2 1/4 " max will provide all the exhaust movement need and then some and allow you to enjoy the power at street driving speed. I am assuming that you are going to be driving this on the street. Having a section of smaller pipe in the line will help you for power off the line to redline.

Member ID
    CZCC-2047

L28 with K&N cold intake (that makes a difference)
    MSA 6-2 with 2-1 collector.
    2.25" straight-as-a-chalkline to a fast left-right behind the diffy.
    Bosal Stainless Steel straight-thru with double tips

It has an unbelievable rumble at idle which grows to a unhealthy resonance at 2000-3000 and turns into a F1 whine at 4+. I'm not going to say it sounds like a V-8 (although many have commented and queried to that end). V-8's sound like ****. A straight 6 makes the most heavenly music in the world. There is really nothing that compares. Very loud, yes. But not at all ricer-loud or junk-yard-dog loud. A very...um....polished loud. European loud. Heavenly loud. My ears ring after driving an hour loud. The neighbors smile loud (and I live in a community of rich old-farts with Mercedes'). Every pedestrian on the block turns their head loud. Every ricer I pass gives me the thumbs up loud. People gathered around the grid at autocross cover their ears loud. Wonderful loud.

steve77
    Last edited by Zvoiture; 02-21-2004 at 02:00 PM.
    "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." -EH
    HLS30-360728 Green Death Machine
    HLS30-137933 Team Midol
    Central Coast Z Car Club
    WestCoastZRacer

Member ID
    CZCC-1499

The best sounding exhausts on Z's is a 6-2-1 header, with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipe and that's it.....

Course, it isn't street legal, and now it's not legal in racing (gotta keep the neighbors happy) but what a sound at 6K-7K....... especially under the cross-over bridge..... even my tired old fat 280 sounded faster than it really was, even with a helmet and balaclava on.....
    "If it weren't for fools, the rest of us could not succeed." Mark Twain.

Member ID
    CZCC-3659

Hey beandip,

so a length of smaller pipe in there would give me more low end stick or a better sound or what?
    i thought that the hotdog creates back pressue but like i have said im new to most of this...
    cris
    flogg it.......

Member ID
    CZCC-1297

Hey Inline6,

You asked this a few posts back, and I'm finally answering. The pipes on my dual exhaust are 1 3/4". Plenty big when going dual....and I get NO evil resonation at high RPMs!! (I was worried about that!!)

Also, my pipes come out side-by-side at the stock exit point. Had to have the hole custom cut to accomodate.

Zedguy
    Last edited by Zedguy; 09-10-2003 at 11:56 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-1887

mellow , the smaller plumbing will help with the back pressure but what is the most important is the scavinging, spelled wrong, do you know what that is ?

Member ID
    CZCC-3622

Thanks all, so far... I'm glad I'm getting all of these responses. I floated this topic by once before as a reply to a post and it didn't resonate

I find it interesting that we Z car owners seem to fall into two groups with these very different exhaust systems. Wouldn't it be really cool to have recordings of both types of systems on the web for us all to listen too?

I think the article on by http://www.sportzmagazine.com with the supplemental downloads on http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag are helpful to people who are about to spend big $ on an exhaust. I wonder how many of us have taken the plunge and not been happy with the results like blitzkraig and myself?

I haven't been able to listen to yours yet Gav. Downloading the Divx deal hasn't worked and haven't timed it right on the GeoCities page.

I'd like to see a page that has multiple downloads of different systems for our Z's. Maybe that would be of help to other Z owners looking to replace their exhausts. I'm going to put this project on the "to do" list for my web page, but at the present rate, it is going to be 2008 before it gets done.

inline6
    Garrett

Member ID
    CZCC-3659

yes inline6 i have also noticed that people have split into two main groups here, both sounding great i bet
    i havent yet got Gavs to work either, would really love to hear i tho!

mellow , the smaller plumbing will help with the back pressure but what is the most important is the scavinging, spelled wrong, do you know what that is ?

no i have no idea what scavinging is....
    can anyone help me out there?
    thanks again, Cris
    flogg it.......

Banned User
    Member ID
    CZCC-1098

Default i have to say without a doubt

TWICE PIPES!!!!!!!!!

Member ID
    CZCC-3604

ive got a set of pacemaker exctractors with a 2 1/2 inch straight through exhaust, one resonator and one straight through muffler. its as loud as hell and drones like crazy at 2000RPM but you get used to it. i dragged an LS1 comodorre ute who swore blind i had a V8 under the bonnet, its got a nice rumble to it at idle
    73 240z,
    sequential Fuel injected L28 3 Litre,
    152 KW @ wheels (6800RPM)
    300zx TT Brakes, R200 LSD
    Sydney Australia

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Well you are up to 3 litre Brett and carbed engines sound that much angrier .

To those who have had trouble with my video I apologise I didn't realise it would be so sort after. I'm not sure where I can upload it at the moment but I'll try think of something.

Actually I may have a spot come to think of it

Post soon if I have the results I'm after.

Member ID
    CZCC-3235

Originally posted by Zvoiture
    A straight 6 makes the most heavenly music in the world. There is really nothing that compares. Very loud, yes. But not at all ricer-loud or junk-yard-dog loud. A very...um....polished loud. European loud. Heavenly loud. My ears ring after driving an hour loud. The neighbors smile loud (and I live in a community of rich old-farts with Mercedes'). Every pedestrian on the block turns their head loud. Every ricer I pass gives me the thumbs up loud. People gathered around the grid at autocross cover their ears loud. Wonderful loud.

steve77
    Fantastic description. Although I do have to disagree with your V8 comment

Here's a pic of my system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rimg0006.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	2663  

Member ID
    CZCC-1087

Default exhaust

I've heard a 3.0L stroker with a 3 inch exhaust, and I thought it sounded better than my 2.5 inch system.

Member ID
    CZCC-2047

Hey Ozzy...too bad they didn't put TWO notches in the crossmember, heh?

steve77
    "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." -EH
    HLS30-137933 Team Midol
    Central Coast Z Car Club
    WestCoastZRacer

Acts first, Thinks later speedyblue's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4743

Post my turn

Must be my turn to have a say.
    I have had my exhaust set up on the L24 and L28 engines in my car. They sounded very similar, except the L28 was a bit deeper and idled rather rough (cam).
    It was a good volume up to about 3500rpm, not too quiet, not too loud, which is good when you are on the highway for an hour or two. Cruising around gave a good burble and drew good attention, but when the twin SU's were opened, the thing got very loud very quick. Rotary drivers became jealous and everyone used to comment on how good it sounded. Not a bit like those buzzy ricer burner jobs. Pushed 110 - 120dB though.
    Luckily the stereo pushed 130dB. It was a very practical system.

Second hand Extractors from the trading post finishing in a 2.5 inch collector. 2.5 inch pipe right through into a 2.5 inch cheapie sports muffler with a 2.5 inch tip.
    All fitted up at Sebrings on the Gold Coast. I am very happy with it, it was fairly cheap, and it lets the engine rev.

Scott

Member ID
    CZCC-4022

hey speedyblue...
    your sig pic... I noticed is an interesting audio setup..
    do you have any more pics?

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
    F54/P90a, Holset HY35W turbo, 3.75" downpipe, 3" exhuast, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, Innovate Wideband, Arizona Zcar springs, Tokico 5 ways, MSA sway bars

Member ID
    CZCC-5213

well I have the coated 6 into 1 headers, good sized glasspack resonator about a foot after the header, 2 chamber flowmaster and a stainless resonated tip.

The sound at idle: a loping v8 (I always get asked if it is a conversion)

idle to 1999 rpms sounds good like a V8

2000-2450 sounds like you're standing inside a huge drum with a gorilla pounding on it....

everything after the 2450 is like a high whining ferrari.

I will reduce the pipe diameter after the resonator to reduce the resonance
    and get another flowmaster 40 series but with the 2.25 inch inlet outlet...
    and same tip.
    SPeed costs money, how fast can you
    afford to go?

Member ID
    CZCC-4610

I have the same arrangement sans resonanator/ no tip. - Bigger gorrilla, longer drum solo, same basic concept

Member ID
    CZCC-1420

All interesting comments regarding various exhaust setups! When I got my Z it had 2.25" pipe with who knows who's muffler at the rear and it sounded OK but, at that point in time I was a newbie to the Z car scene (1983 time frame). Since then and I mean within the last three years, I've reworked the entire car. Currently I have the Super Turbo setup, 2.5", from MSA and I couldn't be happier with the sound and performance of the system. It is attached to a Jet Hot coated 6-2-1 header from MSA. Here is the interesting thing! I have read a lot of posts about the resonance problem at about 2500 rpm but I have not experienced that problem with my system. Is it possible that the additional layer of insulation I added to the interior has damped out that resonance.....maybe yes? Any comments?

Member ID
    CZCC-5664

Just ordered the MSA Motorsport 6/1 header coated with the MSA 2.5" aluminized turbo exhaust system for my '78 280Z. It has a leak in the stock manifold and exhaust in pretty bad shape. Can't wait to hear the new pipes! Got the MSA system for $414 including coated header and exhaust shipping included. Hope I made a good choice.
    Mark
    '71 240Z White 904
    VIN HLS3022975
    '78 280Z Wine Red Metallic 611
    VIN HLS30468702
    IZCC #13834 CZC #5664
    '07 Nismo 350Z Silver Alloy Serial #0007
    VIN JN1BZ34E47M552354

Member ID
    CZCC-6575

Originally posted by jmark
    Just ordered the MSA Motorsport 6/1 header coated with the MSA 2.5" aluminized turbo exhaust system for my '78 280Z. It has a leak in the stock manifold and exhaust in pretty bad shape. Can't wait to hear the new pipes! Got the MSA system for $414 including coated header and exhaust shipping included. Hope I made a good choice.
    That's the setup I've been looking at. Please take pictures and let me know your impressions once you get it all installed!

Member ID
    CZCC-4022

LoL... i can't make up my mind...

Twice Pipes or Aluminized 2.5"??

Performance gains? Equall?

So far Twice Pipes have gotten better results sound wise... hmmm

1978 280Z Boring Mods :

Member ID
    CZCC-6575

I've just about decided to go the custom route myself at the moment.. here is what I'm in the process of designing (all 304 Stainless steel)

9 feet of straight 2.5" 304
    2 90" 304 Mandrel bends
    14" x 5" x 9" Oval SS Magnaflow Muffler
    2.5" SS Oval Cat
    Simichome Metal Polish (to polish everything before I take it to an exhaust shop).

I'm still looking around for an exhaust tip that I like, but the total so far is $307.55 for the parts.... I might even be getting too much SS piping, but I'd like to have the exhaust shop make a test pipe if I can...

Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Maybe I should think about throwing a glass pack in there somewhere?

I LOVED the sound of the Magnaflow on my Eagle Talon... very nice grumble and pretty loud...

Oh, and hey Prox.. looks like you're in Colorado too...

240 Z Owner/Nut Case dhoneycutt's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-4557

I have sitting in my garage the coated MSA 6 into 1 header with the 2.5 in pipe and turbo muffler. just waiting for me to finish the other stuff first. I will get some pictures posted as I get started. I am anxious to hear it run myself
    David A. Honeycutt
    United States Air Force, Retired

1972 Datsun 240Z HLS3079961
    A Work in Progress

2004 Mazda 6s
    2009 BMW 535xi

The Only Difference Between Men & Boys... Is The Price Of Their Toys!

Member ID
    CZCC-2047

I just finished putting the 6-1 on my race motor with 2.25 all the way back and a 5" Supertrapp with 15 plates. It sounds....um....very interesting. Kinda strange. Actually quieter than my street car. Haven't had it above 4000 yet, so I don't really know how it whines, but can't wait. Probably take the pates out for most tracks. Then it will sound right!

steve
    HLS30-137933 Team Midol
    Central Coast Z Car Club
    WestCoastZRacer

Member ID
    CZCC-5428

Steve, Someday I'm going to upgrade my exhaust to full SS with Supertrapp muffs.

I don't think you'll want to remove all the discs because the design requires the discs to function. Adding discs increases the area that exhaust needs to exit system, removing discs closes down system.

attached is some FAQ from Supertrapp, last chart shows opening in square inches for number of discs. Your 2 1/4" pipe has 3.97 square inches and based on chart (noting caveat at bottom) I think you would want approximately 18 discs.

I'd call for tech help to tune your particular system.

http://www.supertrapp.com/Automotive...%202002-10.pdf
    If you want it done right then do it yourself.

Member ID
    CZCC-2047

Thanks for the very informative page, although I think you misunderstood me--I did not state clearly enough. I meant I will probably remove all the plates and the endplate and everything and just run it open like my other car. You're right, just 'removing all the disks' (leaving the endplate) would no doubt create a bit too much backpressure. I'm dynoing Tuesday and might play around with the backpressure a bit. One of the main reasons I went 2.25 is so I could run it wide open. I think 2.25 is perfect for N/A Z motors (yes, save all your flames--I've read it all). I am guessing 18 plates would be very near wide-open in terms of amount of backpressure produced.

steve
    HLS30-137933 Team Midol
    Central Coast Z Car Club
    WestCoastZRacer

Member ID
    CZCC-5327

Default 2.25 v 2.5

Interesting that

I am running a lightly modified L24, mild cam, 6 into 1 header, triple webers and 280 distributor (nearly 180 at last dyno visit)

I have just moved from a MSA 2.5 inch "turbo" system (yes we get them in the UK) to a custom stainless 2.25 inch with a single "straight through" rear box and square tip -- I will bet on a buggers bum that my RWBHP has gone up, the car feels generally more torquey and pulls far better from low revs, I have also lost a misfire I had at around 5.5 - 6K.

Oh and the exhaust note has changed from a harsh wail to a more colourful deep "TVR" tone -- (not that you guys know what a TVR is) which is far less wearing on a 40 year old set of ears.

So in my very humble opinion I also feel that a 2.25 is better suited to a "street" L series

So in the immortal word of the human torch FLAME ON
    Quickest NA L6 engined Z in the UK 13.19@102.02 mph for the 1/4....on a non bored/stroked 2.8

Member ID
    CZCC-3738

Hey, we know what a TVR is. I may have only seen a few in my life, but I have driven a speed 6, a griffith, and a speed 12 on Gran Turismo 3. Okay, I was lame...
    "A real sports car chooses its owner because it has a soul. If you're chosen, you'll love it, and the more it requires care and maintenance the more you love it." -Mr. Morita (Z432 owner)

RLS30-034436
    305 GP Light Blue

Member ID
    CZCC-5327

Nice one
    Quickest NA L6 engined Z in the UK 13.19@102.02 mph for the 1/4....on a non bored/stroked 2.8

Member ID
    CZCC-3622

It sure would be nice to get some mp3's up so we could hear the different combinations. I am sure it would help a bunch of us save money and get it right the first time.

Still looking for the right combo...

inline6
    Garrett

Member ID
    CZCC-4169

I have a 20 second clip of me revving my car a bit on my phone and let random gear heads i run into listen to it....

Member ID
    CZCC-5906

Originally posted by v12horse
    speed 6, a griffith, and a speed 12 on Gran Turismo 3.
    I sold all my TVR's and bought Skylines!!!

Chris
    1973 240Z HLS30-156693

Member ID
    CZCC-4022

Well people argue that 2.5" exhuast is perfect for a Z.... but here is my conclusion about my research on Z's...

For mainly stock or light modifications the 2.25" exhuast is ideal.

For modified or medium modifications the 2.5" exhuast is perfect.

For TURBO or highly modified Z's the 3" exhaust is even better.

Here is a baseline 240Z.... Dyno chart
    1971 L24 stock bottom end, approx. 150K miles
    E88 cylinder head, fresh valve job, shaved 0.025 inches. Otherwise stock.
    MSD 6AL ignition, Pertronix Ignitor, MSD 8mm wires
    Stock Rebuilt Distributor - stock advance curve.
    Stock SU carb.'s, N-27 needles

This is how much more HP you get from Rebello or Nismo headers

*Almost nothing but a cool sound

This is for a 2.5" exhuast compared to a 3.0" exhuast

and finally.... an AIR CLEANER will actually improve your peak HP!

1978 280Z Boring Mods :

Member ID
    CZCC-4169

Awesome post!

Those are the first dyno sheets I have seen on this forum!

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoiture
    Thanks for the very informative page, although I think you misunderstood me--I did not state clearly enough. I meant I will probably remove all the plates and the endplate and everything and just run it open like my other car. You're right, just 'removing all the disks' (leaving the endplate) would no doubt create a bit too much backpressure. I'm dynoing Tuesday and might play around with the backpressure a bit. One of the main reasons I went 2.25 is so I could run it wide open. I think 2.25 is perfect for N/A Z motors (yes, save all your flames--I've read it all). I am guessing 18 plates would be very near wide-open in terms of amount of backpressure produced.

steve
    Hi Steve,

I have been doing some research on exhaust systems for my track car. I have a '71 than I am putting a stock '83 L28 into. Have had the intake ported and polished, but that about it, so far. This car will be used for NASA HPDE's, open track days, High Speed AX and still has to be civilized enough for the street (no trailer, have to drive to the track).

So far I have bought a Pacesetter Header with Jet Hot coating. My initial plan was to go with 2 1/2" pipes and end in a turbo muffler. Saw you post and found it intriguing about the tuneability of a Supertrapp.

Did you get to the dyno? I would love to hear your results. From the date of this post, you must have some experience with the system by now. What do you think of it?

Thanks,

Marty

Former frequent poster sblake01's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-3797

Steve probably won't answere because he's long gone from this site. Mr. McConnell is over at 'West Coast Z Racer' which is a yahoo group site that I occaisionally browse. He's been gone from here since late '04. Couldn't take the crap here is more or less what he says.
    2004 Ford Ranger EDGE Supercab
    (@Moonpup: This one really is an EDGE!)
    2005 Pontaic GTO
    2010 Mercedes Benz C300 AMG Sportline (Wife's car)
    2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
    Certified HVAC/MVAC Technician

Member ID
    CZCC-874

Stephen,

Thanks for the heads up. Too bad. It seems like we have been losing a lot of knowlegeable members in the last year or two.

Anybody else have experiece with Supertrapps?

Marty

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

Jim Thompson at Sunbelt told me that the normally aspirate L6 engine, regardless of state of tune, likes to see 1.5 to 2 psi of pressure in the exhaust, at full throttle, at the engine's torque peak, measured 6" from the end of the header collector.

Member ID
    CZCC-874

John,

That's good info to know. Not sure how a home mechanic would measure that though. What system(s) do you use or recommend to obtain that pressure?

Marty

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

Weld a bung on your exhaust pipe in the correct spot. Attach a length of braided line with a schrader valve at the end, do the dyno run, and check with one of those low pressure off road tire guages. When you're done, remove the line and cap off the bung on the exhaust. The line and the schrader valve may not last more then a few dyno sessions due to the exhaust heat.

Member ID
    CZCC-10854

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any vids or sound clips of exhaust systems with stock manifolds? Im looking at a Monza system for my 240. Has anyone heard one before? Im looking for a nice deep european tone, enough to get peoples attention if I step on it, and a nice mellow sound while crusing (why I want to use the manifold..)

Thanks,
    Dave

Member ID
    CZCC-6323

I had a Monza exhaust with the stock exhaust manifold on my 240Z for a little while. Installation was pretty simple and the fit was good. It used the existing hangers.

I liked the look of the dual chrome tips on the rear muffler. It had a nice sports car sound without being too loud or resonant. I've since put on a MSA 3-2 header and 2-1/2" Turbo exhaust. It's a bit louder than the Monza and more resonant at higher RPM, but it sounds good, too. I'd say the MSA exhaust would be more of an attention getter with the pedal down.
    Kenny P.

'73 240Z
    '82 ZX L28
    '82 ZX 5-speed
    Round top SU's
    Tokico HP struts
    Tokico Springs
    Urethane bushings

my gallery

Member ID
    CZCC-9475

Thumbs down

just put header and duals on,..and hate it! turbo mufflers,no resonators,... and sounds like a civic with a giant muffler,when you romp on it.plus exhaust hangs so low(little room for duals down there),it's hard not to drag it off. i must be doing something wrong.......

Noob User
    Member ID
    CZCC-13160

I was told if going naturally aspirated stock to stick with a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipe from the collector for best results. As far as exhaust note goes magnaflow with a long resonator for a smooth sound is my taste. This is my planned setup unless I here a better one.

Thread Information