Thread: Heater Face Plate ready for restore!

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Default Heater Face Plate ready for restore!

Well, this has been an ongoing process for the past month and a half attempting to prep one of the two heater face plates I have for the 240's I have. Originally some of the chrome was flaking and the black paint was worn through in places so I made that bold jump to "strip it" to the base plastic. The face plate has been in muric-acid for the the duration, only removed to scrub off the loosened material with 00 steel wool.

I have attached a couple of photos showing what the face plates looked like and what the strip plate looks like. Now I just have to get a pint of Mirrachrome, and then do the black paint and then detail the letters and hopefully I will have a fully retro-new face plate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heater FacePlate1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	53358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplates.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	53359

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Sounds like an ambitious project! Good luck with the chrome areas.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-7641

Keep up the cool work!
    There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply.
    The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

ZCars in Eastern Canada seaport ready for shipment to Europe

http://ZSportCanada.com

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Thanks for the Mirrachrome reference. I had never heard of that stuff before. Pricey isn't it?! Best of luck - let's see your finished work and thoughts.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Got to admit I am excited spray the mirrachrome. I follow the european touring car circuit. Numeous audi bidy chrome parts are sprayed with this. Even a couple of F1 use this.

Member ID
    CZCC-4964

Good luck. Restoring that part will certainly separate the men from the boys. I hope to get some inspiration to do mine after I see yours done. ;-)
    Dave C, Putnam, NY
    NYZCC - Membership Director

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Have you ever had a day when you are convience you know what direction your going to go and then all a sudden you have the ability to go right or left. Well, I just hit the Y-intersection. I found and a guy here in Madison Wi. who does vacuum plating chrome on numerous restoration dashes. He has been doing for twenty years and for $50 (estimate) to replate the face plate versuses ~$400 for the mirra chrome (pint kit), I have to rethink my direction.

I would love to spray the mirra chrome but if it doesn't work then its a $400 flop which I doubt will be the case. I did talk talk with Gerry at ALSA and he said the mirra chrome is great but it is really the technique that makes or breaks the finish outcome. With the speed clear sprayed it should be pretty durable. Talking with Rob at www.chrometechusa.com/, he said the vacuum plating will last another 30 yrs if you treat it right.

Needless to say the restore will go but whether I spray mirra chrome or go with vacuum plating that is now my dilema.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

No dilema - - if you are "restoring" it - put it back to the condition it was in when originally produced. Vacuum plate it. Also give us the guy's name in Madison. And go see if he wants to do your tail lights as well!!

good luck,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-4964

Makes perfect sense to me. See if you can get a price for the tail light chrome too. $50 for the heater panel chrome restoration sounds like a WIN! Vacuum plating places seem hard to come by. Watching this thread for sure.

EDIT: Haha great minds think alike! I posted this at the same time as you ^
    Dave C, Putnam, NY
    NYZCC - Membership Director

Member ID
    CZCC-14231

Let the shop Vacuum Plate it for you, unless you thrive on frustration and challenge. Fifty bucks sounds like a very good deal....and you can always blame someone else if it doesn't turn out right.
    Dennis
    1971 240Z - Original Owner
    2010 Infiniti G37 Convertible

Member ID
    CZCC-17660

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusx1 View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me. See if you can get a price for the tail light chrome too. $50 for the heater panel chrome restoration sounds like a WIN! Vacuum plating places seem hard to come by. Watching this thread for sure.

EDIT: Haha great minds think alike! I posted this at the same time as you ^
    Hell, I will send my parts to him for that price.

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Default Vaccum plate it will be!

Guess, it really was a no brainer in addition to the cost difference. I do plan to send the tail light trims but have not started stripping them. Maybe get them started this weekend.
    If I can get the remaining trumpeter swan nest survey done early to day I should be able to ship the face plate out. When I get it will put picture of it out. Also, I found a second vaccum plater that may do this. Will contact them and see. Enjoy the weekend when you all get to it.

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Just a quick note, the face plate is still in Rob's hands but since then I have sent another face plate to him to use as a reference how to repaint the face plate. I was going to do it myself but he convinced me to go ahead and let him do the detail work. No final estimate yet but he did say the face plate was done in regards to the vaccum plating. As soon as I get it back I will put up picture(s) and let the gallery decide on the quality.

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Ok, I thought I should give a qiuick update on the heater faceplate replating. Back on July 13, 14 my daughter and I went to the Iola Car Show and Swap weekend. A co-worker of mine goes every year so we camp with him and his group. Anyway, while beating the rows of swap dealers I saw a Chrome Tech vendor and a bit surprised. So, I went to the booth and I asked if Robert was around and guess who I was acutally talking with, Robert. Needless to say we got to meet face to face and he apoligized for the delay but it has been so blasted hot here he has been only doing the plating when we have cold fronts push through. No problems I understand, so today I was with my Supervisor inspecting some clay for our dike project and guess who calls, yep, Robert.

He said the face plate is finished and he really was glad I had a second faceplate to reference back to for the painting but the face plate is done but not in hands yet. Anyway he is sending pictures of the face plate for me to look at before we finalize the project. So, I would expect to have the plate back in hand sometime late next week.

I will get pictures up and answer any questions anyone has. Stay tune!

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Oh, forgot to mention that my daughter has and continues to thank me for taking her to the car show. In fact, she asked if we could go next year! Hearing that from her makes me a happy Z-dad!

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

Default Faceplate is finally done and in my hands!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	55224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	55225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	55226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate4.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	55227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	55228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate6.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	55229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate7.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	55230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplate8.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	55232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faceplates.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	55234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ceiling Finished1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	55235Today I walked to the mailbox! What I found was my heater faceplate back from Robert. I got to admit it came out really nice. I want to dig out my new OEM faceplate to lay them side by side because I don't think one will be able to tell the difference, but I can find it in the $9,000 pile of parts right now.

Anyway, I have taken some picture, the first picture will be of the two faceplates. The one on the right is the restored and the one on the right is just a used plate I still have. Eventually I am sure I will send it to Robert to be redone. So, the remainder of the photos are of the retored faceplate. Robert did a great job of painting in and around the raised lettering etc. The sheen of the matt black in my eye is just right. I also included a picture of both plates from the back so you can see the comparison of the chrome.

Now, back to getting getting insulation up in the garage. I am in the middle of insulating and finishing the inside of my garage with steel siding alway the way through.

Member ID
    CZCC-24765

I would be interested in a set of decals should you end up ordering / making some for the hot / def / room, etc. I recently painted and refreshed mine, but the decals are gone forever!

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Wayne,

Just curious if you could share what the final cost was for the restore of the faceplate? I have a spare faceplate and would be interested in having one restored in the future.

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Member ID
    CZCC-24194

The final cost to do the restore was $135.00. I know he spent a lot time on it so,
    I would recommend to contract him for a quote. I have one more plate to restore which I plan to do next spring. One thing to remember I stripped the face panel to the base material before shipping it out which saved some cost.

Member ID
    CZCC-16910

Have you guys realized we have reproduction ones with no distoration or cracks like used ones? Using platable grade ABS platisc, We have plain black, chromed version, and finished version.
    We also offer decal set for LH Drive US model and RH Drive versions painted in Japan.(Alum. backing for heat and water resistance)
    Used one rarely work when you try to strip old chrome plateing.....

Esprist
    Visit my blog & rare parts from Japan at
    www.jdm-car-parts.com

Member ID
    CZCC-21096

Wayne,

Thanks for letting me know the cost. It looks like the reproduction faceplates would exceed my budget, but I also like the idea of using the original parts when they can be restored. I'll be sure to keep this in mind when the time comes to start the interior restoration!

Robert S.
    1971 240Z HLS30-21244

Thread Information