Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Default My two swiss S30Z Fairladies 240z Restoration build thread

Well hello everybody. i'd like to introduce myself. I'm Nils, coming from switzerland and about two year ago i started work on a S30Z i bought. I now have a few restored parts, a lot of repair-parts lying around but the chassis was in bad condition because of earlier bad repair attempts by previous owners and a few crash-damages.
    Check out the whole story here:
    http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...hp?f=7&t=11769

then i had to decide if i would have a bodyshop to bring everything back to original condition or look out for a second car with a better base. Some weeks ago i got a notice from two friends telling me they saw a sad Z hanging around with no roof-window out in the rain. Long story short - it was near my job, i checked it out and brought it here this weekend and started work immediately:

so here's were the story begin's - i'll keep you updated!

Check out my other project (JDM EK9 TypeR and my Daily EJ9 which will get replacement in 2013) on my personal site on www.JDMjunkies.ch

back to the Z:
    Jup, it has been a while, but today i bought a second 240Z for a really great price. it looks ugly but it was a real great deal i'll also get some more parts from this guy beloning to the Z soon. Mor information soon:

1) My friend Simon is loading the car and tying it safely

2) while at home my old Z chassis had to leave the garage for better workspace on the new one:

3) and here my new fairlady is safely at its new home in the garage:

Even have some OEM seats and seatbelts

and a complete engine with carbs and everything

4) Last but not least i had to wrap the "old" chassis so it wont get wet during winter:

I'll explain more on my plans soon. all i'd like to say is that both are genuine swiss 1972 240z. The main plan is to strip the new chassis and build one car out of these two with each part choosen from which car the part was in better condition. but we'll see. will be fun to explore Lots of updates will come again soon - the project is back in full swing
    Last edited by JDMjunkies.ch; 11-05-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Started disassembly on the second Z today. This is how it started:

Removed some Paint first where i saw some rust underneath. It's a real ****te homegrown paintjob whith a wrong build-up. Seems like the big amount of primer and/or Bondo underneath drew humidity and started to rust on the surface. well luckily only on the surface!

Removed the taillight covers first which have been painted in a wrong colour also:

Rubber-taillight seals are really brittly and weak but lucky me i allready have a set of new ones lying around

and taillights uncovered:

Next i removed the rear wing:

And cleand up a bit in the trunk. theres a hole and some rust in the spare-wheel "bowl":

Found this funky oldschool-sticker in the mess that was inside:

Next i removed the driver seat which is soaked in rainwater, but otherwise looks usable when re-done:

Also found a genuine but black painted datsun emblem underneath:

Then removed the driver side door panel:

And rear window which was only laid inside without rubber - easy task

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

And this is how i ended up today. I feel like i know one or two things now from my first Z and that makes it all faster

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Hi from NZ. I have a 72 as well. You have a big job there, but the end result will be worth the effort i'm sure.
    Your dash looks to have no cracks, which is a huge bonus.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Thanks mate. Well i thought it was nice first too, but the white Z (my first chassis wich is still an option) has a totally cracked dashboard and the second one from the black car has a small crack at the usual spot. but i have one in great shape on hold i will pick up as soon as i can afford. other things have priority right now ;/

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

took apart a few more things this week and hopefully will have better progress tomorrow:
    1) Started with the taillights, which were installed with about 5 different types of screws :P

and out they are:

2) removed the interieur cover around the inner light (Above c-pillar)

3) Next on the list was the dashboard front piece thingy:

At one point i was curious about how bad the paintjob is so i started chipping the paint of wih a small spatula. it was so much fun and easy, spent about 1,5 hours just chipping of old paint with a spatula - here we go

well, hopefully i'll be more productive next time and get some more serious stuff done *lol*

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Just a short update:
    1) Pulled out the roof liner:

looks ok underneath:

2) I love the fact the new car came with alle the stuff like OEM-seats, and seatbelts. even if the need quite a bit of love to look shiny and work properly again

and out they are:

3) while cleaning the car a bit i found this wasp's nest inside the drivers door
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080080-Kopie.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	57922  

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

It look like a good straight car thats been neglected for a very long time in someones backyard. Except for the funky paintwork the body looks good for its age. It will be nice to watch your progress.
    Goodluck
    Chas
    Last edited by EuroDat; 11-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDat View Post
    It look like a good straight car thats been neglected for a very long time in someones backyard. Except for the funky paintwork the body looks good for its age. It will be nice to watch your progress.
    Goodluck
    Thanks, mate! Yeah the car has it's problems but compared to my other car which has been repaired really bad it's at least original and doesn't have any patched up parts. Also it's complete with all the interieur and a complete engine. so that's nice. At the end i'll probably build one car out of two or something like that. need to strip the second car now and then decide what's best. also there is quite a bit rust underneath the paint but i have a lot of nice bodypanels from the other car so it's ok At least the substructure looks great, but for safety and a long life i think i'll replace a lot of the parts anyway, so it should last another 40 years

So far i have a complete sandblasted and powdercoated subframe from my first Z lying around, as well as a Trust header, Kameari stuff, NAMS ( Nagisa Auto Motor Sports) and RockyAuto Adjustable rods and arms, a set of new wheel bearings, JDM fender mirrors and a lot more. all still NOS and packed up, so this will be great to put it all back together at one point

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

I know what you mean by previous resto jobs. Mine had a nice suprise for me. The back passenger side tail light didn't look right. The mounting frame behind the tail light was all bent up. They just hammered it in so they could get the light to fit and filled the rest with filler. It cost me two days to get it back to (almost) normal, but its still not perfect. I want to eventually repaint the car and will probably have to cut the section out and replace it.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

yeah on my first chassis the installed different taillights (from a corvette or Opel GT or something) so they welded up everything. it's hard to find an entire upper rear panel so that's why i decided to look for a second base that might be a lot of work as well but at least no such ****..

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Just a nice B/W shot to start with:

Removed the spare-tools lids. was quite tricky because i had to cut new Slots to get the screws out:

and out they are:

Removed a bit of those insulation mats with a rubber hammer on the driver side in the trunk. benefits of having a unheated (read: Freezy) garage is that tar-mats tend to get brittly

Next up was some interieur stuff behind the rear seat:

and at this point i found my first serious rust-hole:

at this point i decided to spend the rest of my time removing the brittly old bad paintjob with a spatula. Totally useless becase car will get a sandblast / Sanding anyway if i decide to use this shell, but just so much fun:

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

thought it's time to show you my other part of the car, chassis number one, and all the aftermarket parts i bought so far:
    Chassis Nr 1 and the rotisserie i built for the Z's:

it's totally stripped now, but has a few problem-zones, so i will see which one i'll complete as soon as the black one is stripped too

and the parts:
    Saito Rollcage from japan:

Kyo-Ei (Japan) extended wheel studs:

Rocky Auto Japan Tension rods:

NAMS (Nagisa Auto Motor sport japan) Tierod end links (compared to the OEM ones):

Zedd findings replacement floor panels:

Energy suspension Master bushing kit (plus a few extra bushings for the swaybars):

HKB Japan steering boss kit:

Trust Japan Header:

Tow hooks (custom made in Japan):

Kameari Japan leather "Z" shift knob:

Tokico (Japan) Blue shocks:

Got all the sub-floor parts sandblasted and powedercoated in satin black:

Name:	P1030894-Kopie.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	58142  

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

and the holy grail:
    a brand new NOS RS-Watanabe "Falcon" steering wheel:

also a whole bunch of OEM-parts ready for the re-install like Ball joints, wheel bearings, seals and stuff:

also bought a few used panels, taillights and a set of JDM Datsun 510 Fender mirrors, which will be reassembled with the longer 240Z bases i have to a set of OEM JDM 240Z mirrors:

and a lot of other small pieces and a few truckloads still need to be ordered - hope you see where my project goes

here we have two better pics of the chassis nr one
    1) when i bought it:

2) how it looks now (completely stripped to bare shell):

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Long time no update. I‘ve been busy making some extra space in the garage and clean up the mess there Also I removed a lot of paint and thought it wouldn’t make sense to post pictures of every bit of junk I removed so far
    This is how it looks on the outside currently, lot of paint removed just for fun:

Lots of surface rust underneath. anyway i continued with removing some of the insulation in the trunk:

next on the list was get out the interieur behind the seats and look how the structure is underneath:

Found a big hole on the passenger side rear inner wheel well:

Now after i've seen a few things on the black car i feel like i have a plan again:
    The white (first car) seems to have better base structures, so at the moment i think i'll go with the white car. If the front end of the black one is good (on the white it isn't, also due to a lot of bad repair-attempts) i'll use the entire front-end of the black car. So Disassembly of the black car's front end is what's up next:

more to come on the front-end
    In the meanwhile it got pretty freezy in the garage again and i feel a bit sorry for the white shell sitting outside in the cold, will put it back into the garage soon, or find another home while i work on the black car:

Then i had a few dollars left on my paypal account last month so i thought this is a good excuse to buy some small parts from MSA (zcarparts): Got a set of NOS rear pillar emblems as well as a hood emblem:

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Hi Nils, Looking good. Nice parts gathering your got going. Well you have a good parts car for your project.
    Is the black z a euro or a us import with euro taillights? Sounds like the white one was us, with the corvette taillight mod.
    My z is a us import. I spent 18 months looking for one. All the euro models are in pretty bad condition due to the salt in winter.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hi Chas, thanks for the feedback.
    both are genuine swiss market Z's, Every car was marked in japan to which market/Counry it will be delivered:
    How i know this? On the glove box liner there are three japanese katakana characters (ス イ ス) which means Su-I-Su and stands for Suisse, see here:

Also both of the cars came with non american features like a 5-speed manual gearbox and without the terrible us-bumpers.
    Swiss models have specific corner-lights on top of the bumper
    istead of underneath them, because of the minimum-hight corner lights had to have here these days and the OEM ones were to low.
    The Corvette tail-light conversion (or maybe it was a Opel GT conversion) was done here by one of the previous owners i think. this was something "cool" back in the "manta, manta days"

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

oh and i totally forgot, i have the registration documents from the swiss car which has been registered in switzerland 1972 still waiting to pick up the documents from the black car...

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

It's currently -3°C in the garage (26.6°F) in the garage, but some good work keeps me warm Started disassembly of the front end today, t his will alow me to remove the fenders to check the structure of the chassis in the front.
    1) Removed the front-bumper with the swiss-spec Corner lights. It's slightly dented but repairable.

here it's gone:

2) next was the front lower panel, it's quite bent but usable:

next on the list was the grille, but i wasn't able to remove all the screws so i let them soak in some WD40 for a while While working i found the VIN-tag plate:

and noticed a weird thing: Even if both cars are 1972 Swiss-spec cars they have different oil filler caps. here's the one i found in the black car:

and here the "elephant" type oil filler cap from the white one. Of course i'll go with this one

Member ID
    CZCC-28632

Default Trust headers

Those headers are the same ones that came with my parts car...I had never seen them before any information on them?

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Hi Nils,
    I was wondering about the turn signal light above the front bumper. Never seen them before. In NL they wouldnt pass my CA Import until I disabled the turn signals on the side for safety reasons, but he coul not explain why. Crazy when you think about it. Now you cant see the indicators from the side because 280z front indicators are zunk in the grill above the bumper.
    Chas

PS: did Heiko pick up his roadster from a guy near Groningen NL? There is a guy there with 7 or 8 off them ( cant remember exactly) and a true roadster fan.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Quote Originally Posted by TQ24TZ View Post
    Those headers are the same ones that came with my parts car...I had never seen them before any information on them?
    you mean the blue one? It's a trust / greddy one, it's out of production since a while. i have part numbers and drawings if you need more information. just let me know
    i got one of the last NOS parts from the greddy japan stock, but now it's no mor avialeble.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Quote Originally Posted by TQ24TZ View Post
    you mean the blue one? It's a trust / greddy one, it's out of production since a while. i have part numbers and drawings if you need more information. just let me know
    i got one of the last NOS parts from the greddy japan stock, but now it's no mor avialeble.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hi Nils,
    I was wondering about the turn signal light above the front bumper. Never seen them before. In NL they wouldnt pass my CA Import until I disabled the turn signals on the side for safety reasons, but he coul not explain why. Crazy when you think about it. Now you cant see the indicators from the side because 280z front indicators are zunk in the grill above the bumper.
    Chas
    PS: did Heiko pick up his roadster from a guy near Groningen NL? There is a guy there with 7 or 8 off them ( cant remember exactly) and a true roadster fan.
    Yeah those turn signals are some swiss specific because original location was to low for swiss law, but i will change them to standard under-the-bumper type now, already got some panels and stuff
    Yeah Heiko changed his roadster with a guy from netherlands. so the guy in netherlands now got a rarer year model from heiko and heiko has got one in better condition, but i don't know whick guy he got it from, only know he swapped cars with a guy from the netherlands

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Sorry for the lack of updates. Pre-christmas stuff keeps me busy currently, but soon Christmas holiday is coming so i hope to be able to get a few things sorted.
    Compared the damage on my two chassis today. Still need to check a few things but this is what i saw so far:

So my plan is to do the same as Torby from Latenightgarage to his Z. Swap the entire front end from my black car to the white one, as well as the taillight surrounding. still need to study a lot of things but this seems a pretty nice way to make one good Chassis out of two rusty ones as the front is pretty well on the black one but the restunusable and the front-end is the biggest problem (with a lot of cheap repair patches) on the white one:

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Nils, Thats a serious repair you have planned. It will be inteesting to see how this all comes back together. My Z is completly rust free, but the rails have had a hard life and are all dented and bent. Ill probably change them.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Haha, it's more a "make-one-out-of-two" thing than a serous repair. i believe the black one would'nt make sense to repair and the white one would be very tricky to replace all the panels in the front end so i think this is the easiest way to get it fixed and after torby at http://www.latenightgarage.com/?p=669 did the exactly same i feel like this is a great idea to save the best from two cars.
    Anyway i still need replacement of the frame rails but for this i will have another update soon, i hope

Also i still need to investigate a bit further on the quality of the black front end, i hope it's really as usable as i think it is

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Spent another hour at the new (black) Z and "freed" the front end to have a closer look:
    1) Grille off:

2) Fenders off:

3) Hood off:

Good news: I found what i was looking for: A pretty solid, straight and not-too-rusty Front end. Perfect for swapping it over to the white chassis

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Hi Nils,
    Looks like the front end is in pretty good condition. You have a good donor for the white Z.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

yeah definitly. the rest of the body is a bit useless i think, but the front end is exactly what i was hoping for

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

You remember the "Datsun parts heaven" i wrote about a while ago? Today i visited this place again, because i wanted to pick up a set of pretty damn rare NOS OEM Frame rails for the 240Z. I've never seen them for sale so they must be something really sought after and i wanted to secure them for my project. here they are, can't get any better

Then my mate stefan and i Checked out a nice Z which is for sale and a few friends of us are interrested in:

And Stefan took a closer look at a Datsun 180B Triple S, a seriously rare car over here! He might be buying it soon, at least i hope so

And last but not least i edited an Image of my second's Z engine bay, just because it looked so nice and i loved the picture with the lens flare

More updates to come soon

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Do you guys all have sunroofs in Switzerland?

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

I have never seen original NOS rails. Rare find

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Haha yeah that's why i had to buy them. i've only seen once a set for sale in the USA, but without shipping outside US. and the baddog rails are good replicas but quite not OEM quailty
    And yeah most of the car's have sonroofs in switzerland (Don't ask me why). when i bought my first z they told me it's a rare model without sunroof but i later figured out it once had a sunroof and just was closed by welding in a piece of sheet metal.
    anyway, now i have a shell without sunroof that's pretty fine

It's awesome bartsscooterservice's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Hi Nils,

I have been reading everything and looked at the pictures. Been there, done that. Personally I would not cut anything in half, but use the black one, and weld in those frame rails you showed in the picture, together with new floor pans. ( when cutting things away, make sure you weld support structure in first )The first thing you need to do, to get things done more quicker, is to get the black chassis sandblasted, once sandblasted things work alot quicker and cleaner, and you will see welding in the new parts will go alot quicker. Then you can put everything in protective primer/paint, and can start assemble the car.

Keep going !

Bart

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hi Bart, thanks for your input. the problem is the complete roof, side panels rear end and more is pretty bad on the black car, while good on the white car, so i think cutting them in half is still the best, but a complicated way to preserve the best from both cars...

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Yeah, but after sandlbasting you can clearly see what you have. ( surface rust looks worse than it is ) As I can judge from the pictures, it's rusty yes, but not that bad. And the rear fender original arches you can buy them online, they are not that difficult to weld in. Personally I would not cut it in half. After sandblasting, cutting and welding goes alot quicker, just take time to weld it in like factory. But your idea will work to, anyhow good luck to you! I will keep following it.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

yeah but i would need to replace the complete damaged roof skin on the black one while the white allready has a roof skin with the roof window closed and of course i've checked all the pieces and it's rusted through at several points you can see from the inside, not only at the arched but at many parts. the problem with the black one is it was standing in the rain several months without any roof window collecting rain and snow on the inside, so the complete rear quarter panels, spare-tire-bucket and a lot of other pieces have big holes, are totally useless etc. The white one is in pretty good condition except the front-end and the rear upper panel which has been modified. i have been thinking for the best solution for a while now and it seems definitly the best way to use the best from both cars to make one great car out of them I will poste more pictures of the rust on the black one next time im working on the car if i remember but it's really worse than it looks while the white one is really better than it looks

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

Okay. But the white one also needs new floors right? If I read it correctly. I used to have a project like you, even worse on rust in the past, look here: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/y...tml#post420583

But it went wrong because I cut it up to fast without looking the original factory lines on the floor. And I was still unknown with bodywork like you. I admire your dedication for restoring a European 240Z, since they are so much more rusted usually.

My dad also had a 240z in the past, where he also replaced the entire front end, like you want to do. So it is possible.

Another option is keep looking for other better shells to start with, it's basically up to how much work do you want to spend and the end result..
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 01-17-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Nothing big, just started removing random bits in the engine bay of chassis Nr II:
    1) Air Filter:

2) Air vent pipes (totally brittly):

3) Hood rod:

4) Service Lamp

4) VIN Tag Plate:

Then found this guy helping me out in the Garage

5) Collection of random removed pieces:

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Nils,
    If you want a new engine bay inspection light I just ordered one for my 280z. Its still available in the Nissan dealers in NL but under another nr. 26740-10W00. I had a bit of trouble tracking the new number down. Its for the 720 trucks up to 1986.
    A lot of people think they are NLA because they cant find the older numbers in the system.
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Part number for 240Z inspection light should be 26740-89904
    see here: Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z Room Lamp & Inspection Lamp

thanks a lot. not sure if i will restore it, remove it or replace it. actually thats least important on my to do list at the moment - but thanks for your Input! Allways appreciate help and ideas

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

That part nr 89904 was for all the Datsuns until 1983 including the 280ZX, but for some reason then they changed the number to 10W00. Just noticed it in your photo's and thought you might be planning to fix it or get a new one.
    It only cost €25.00 so restoring it is generally a waste of time and if its anything like mine the plastic lens crumbles in your hand if you squeeze it a little.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

The engine bay looks like it in good condition. A bit dirty but no noticable rust or damage.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Well haha, a Picture uf my Zed's glovebox i made at the beginning of my project was featured in the #IAMTHESPEEDHUNTER Programme Detail theme on Car Culture at Large - Speedhunters and i'm very proud of it, beeing a daily Speedhunters reader

Name:	NilsEhrat.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	60617  
    Last edited by JDMjunkies.ch; 01-29-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Car Culture at Large - Speedhunters

Click on the Zed halfway down the page.

Well small world for sure. The owner of this car has a thread on our local Z Club .Z Club of NZ :: View topic - USDM 280Z

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

haha yeah, if you mean the g-nose zed, it's the girl from the iheartstance blog:
    iheartstance
    have been following her for a while

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Quote Originally Posted by JDMjunkies.ch View Post
    haha yeah, if you mean the g-nose zed,
    iheartstance
    have been following her for a while
    Yes same car, and bet you couldn't catch her.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Removed some random bits in the engine bay again
    1) Ignition coil bracket & Resistor:

2) Front bumper support brackets and Radiator:

3) Ignition wires and Distributor cap:

4) Started removing the carbs and other stuff but then a friend showed up and we started to chat so i left it like this:

Hope to get more done soon - want to have the white chassis out of the rain and back in the garage

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Hi Nils,
    Im amazed that the front end is in such good condition and the rest badly rusted. It must of had some pretty bad water leaks in the cabin or the PM left that dam sunroof open when he parked it

Cool website, speedhunters
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Indeed - the car had no sunroof and was covered with a plastic-cover which blew away after a few weeks so the car stoud there with a lot of rain and snow inside several months. but it was inteded to buy it as a parts donor and it got exactly what i need for the other car (raer panel and front end) so i'm pretty happy with it, particularly because it was damn cheap

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Someone asked me about the wheels on the black z, and i've never really cared about them because the previous owner wanted them back but i thought i'd investigate a bit. Brand name says MELBER and googling tells me that that brand has been OEM Options wheels on several european cars.

According to the Center cap which says "Melber Datsun" it seems to be some kind of OEM option here to and i remember the previous owner told me something like that.

Here a better view of the brand name. Ignore the terrible paintjob which is peeling off..

Also spent a lot of time with the car today but pictures don't make a lot of sense, because i just removed a lot of hoses, wires and pipes for easier carebutor removal next time
    Oh and i also have a big package from Japan on the way and some plans for next month

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Hi Nils:
    Great Thread, thanks for bringing us along.

Looking at the pictures of the wheels - the way they are corroded & colored - I wonder if they are Magnesium Alloy rather than Aluminum Alloy. Look carefully on the back of the wheels and see if there is a Date Of Production stamped into them.

BTW - it would appear that your Swiss cars got the same bumpers we did here in the US for 70 though 72. We only got the big ugly bumpers starting in 73.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hi Carl,
    Thanks for your feedback,
    Yeah we got the standard JDM bumpers here in switzerland, as far as i know they had to change them in the US for som safety reasons at one point, so you got the ugly USDM bumpers after 73 :P

The whells are aluminum i think they aren't really light. so i don't think they're magnesium, but i'll check that. I believe they just got "painted" with a rattle can or something that's why paint peels off, but i definitly will look closer at them when i have them off the car! THanks for your input on this

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Just a short update:

2) I love the fact the new car came with alle the stuff like OEM-seats, and seatbelts. even if the need quite a bit of love to look shiny and work properly again

and out they are:
    Very Interesting - were the self-retracting shoulder belts OEM in the black Z or added on import to meet a Swiss Requirement?
    FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Im Not sure, but i believe they where added on import. the Brand name of the seat belts was something swedish (not swiss ) and i assume they would have installed some japanese brand if it was done in japan, rather than a european thing
    I think those seat belts were probably something similar like the USDM bumpers, to meet safety regulations - but im not really suere about this.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

They look different to what I have seen here in NL. but then again there is not too many original 240Z, 260Z still running here. Most are US import and its not required to change them to get the car through road worthiness inspection.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Well yeah, i have the feeling that cars where initially shipped without seatbealts (at least in the early production years) and due to the fact that many counries started with security related restrictions during these years every countries importeur started modification to meet regulations on their own before maybe datsun officially equipped the cars with seatbelts in the latter years. but actually i have no clue :P I liked the layout of these seatbelts but probably i'll go for some more racing oriented 4 or 6 points belts because i have mounting brackets for Multi-point belts on my rollcage anyway

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

I've been thinking about the possibility to lower my Z on adjustable coilovers but all the options i found where somewhat expensive JDM-stuff without documents for swiss street-legalization or either cheap US-crap self-welding solutions. So when i picked up my Tein coilovers for my EK9 i reminded myself that there was the opportunity to get custom TEIN Coilovers made out of the standard coilovers. And the best thing they'd come with swiss documents if i handle it together with the swiss tein importing company.
    Only one problem: They cost almost as much as i paid for the entire car
    Here are some pics from the TEIN japan Homepage:

Last edited by JDMjunkies.ch; 02-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

That is a nice pair of coilovers. I know what you mean about pricing. That stuff can get really pricy. Thats like all the other things Id like to do, but cant justify all that cash to do it. I figure ive got plenty of time to do it bit by bit. My next "bit" will be the 300ZX 71C transmission.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

yeah that's exactly how i do it. currently have a big package from Japan on the way. but i think next big thing i need are the bodyparts, so i can get that damn chassis done. somehow doesn't make sense to spend money on cool blingy performance stuf while the chassis is rotting away in the rain. but i just got some good news and i'll try my best to get the chassis work started this year

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Indeed - the car had no sunroof and was covered with a plastic-cover which blew away after a few weeks so the car stoud there with a lot of rain and snow inside several months. but it was inteded to buy it as a parts donor and it got exactly what i need for the other car (raer panel and front end) so i'm pretty happy with it, particularly because it was damn cheap
    Don't know if you intended to eliminate the sun roof or not - but here is a very good Thread related to replacing the roof to eliminate a sun roof. Sounds like you have a good doner
    http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/b...roof-skin.html

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

thanks for you'r input. but the plan is to rebuild the chassis with the good shell / roof and just use the front end and rear panel from the black car. but we'll see how it end's up. thanks anyway. appreciate!

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Here we go, another piece of the puzzle arrived: A Koyorad Japan (Koyo) Aluminum Racing radiator. The great thing compared to the OEM Radiator is that this one is a bit thicker and has a crossflow-design which means better cooling efficiency. Also i was impressed about the weight. this thing is about 1/4 the wheight of the OEM Item. Great bang-for-the-Buck deal in my opinion!

typical japanese manufacturing quality:

Also had to buy a koyo radiator cap because the OEM cap would not fit:

have some other news soon, but it's currently just a bit too cold out in the garage

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

have some other news soon, but it's currently just a bit too cold out in the garage
    Thats my problem too. Garage is 5 to 10 degC atm.

Thats a nice clean radiator you got there. Cross flow is a good improvement too

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

Interesting thread. Has the body work come to a halt?

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

yeah kind of i try to get some stuff done soon, but if you read my blog on JDMjunkies.ch | JDM streetlife Switzerland you see i also have other car projects im currently working on in the meantime.also it's snowy outside and really freezy in the garage. and last but not least im looking for a good body guy ( i already have a few options but just got in contact with an even cooler guy ) and i can't do a lot more on the body right now. but still need to collect a few parts, so bodywork is a bit stuck until i have all the parts and can hand it to a proper bodyshop still have a ton of work to be done, so don't worry, as soon as it get's over 5°C i'll head out back in the garage

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

edit: sorry dubble post
    Last edited by bartsscooterservice; 02-11-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    HLS30 32581, 5/71 Matching numbers

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I use diesel heaters to warm up the garage, works great, not that expensive on fuel consumption, maybe an idea?

Jay Leno : You know one week after the Americans have walked on the moon, the Japanese introduced this sports car, and…if you’re a car guy pretty equal. I mean walking on the moon was pretty good, but how many times you’d gonna walk on the moon? But here was an affordable sports car that had real performance and looked like it cost a lot more than it did.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hmm it's a bit problematic because badly isolated, i would need to heat it up everytime before i work out there. had a gas burner once, but i try to keep saving money and let things be for the times it's too cold. not to bad, i don't have a big hurry

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

sorry, douple post :/
    Last edited by JDMjunkies.ch; 02-21-2013 at 10:56 PM.

My real JDM RHD EK9 & S30Z Project build Blog --> klick <--

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I know what you mean about the cold though, I use alot of diesel during the winter months for heating. Now the goverment banned the cheaper red diesel here, so have to look for alternative next year winter.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

haha *lol* i usually just works harder, this keeps me warm. or as i do it these days, i just keep sourcing parts and learning about my car while it's to cold to get work done

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Im a bit the same here. I am currently working on the brakes and front bumper, but that is mostly on the floor. I have a heater, but it doesnt do much to warm up the floor. Think I ll wait till it warms up a bit.
    Chas
    5/77 280Z HLS30 403100 with some modifications
    Original colour: 305 Light Blue. The PO changed it to Red

Member ID
    CZCC-20649

We are in the middle of one of the driest summers I can remember, and hot.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

My good friend Stev was kind enough to get me a set of Stickers over at JNC while he ordered some for himself. BIG THANKS, mate, as usual - apprecciate your support man!
    Love the JNC gold "Inkan" Emblem and the Okamoto Condoms "OK-Hand" stickers

Also expect some new parts arriving during the next weeks. spent a lot of money ordering parts and temperatures are rising again so i hope i get some more recent updates on the car during next weeks again

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

The previous owner of the black z told me he had a few extra parts in a container which were missing. the car was almost complete except the bottom part of one seat and the passenger door panels and taillights. So when he finally told me he'll deliver me those parts i expected only these parts. But then i got a complete transporter filled with tons of small pieces i still have to identify Here's what i got:
    1) A lot of interieur panels fron the hatch i guess:

2) a set of spare rear side windows, spare clutch, spare starter motor and other pieces:

3) Set of spare gauges and taillights (Second taillight see below)

4) A spare fuel tank

5) Boxes full of small electronic pieces, broken junk, spare seatbelts, spare cigarrette lighter, shift knobs, spare careburators, and tons of small things:

In one of the boxes i found this bag of Cat-weed seeds *lol*

6) broken center console, door steps, and a lot of other items

7) More panels, spare-tools bag, steering column cover and another broken center console:

8) Missing passenger side door panel and tons of doorsteps and stuff:

9) Missing bottom part of the passenger seat and a few worn out emblems, steering wheel switches, and more spare gauges:

10) And another rear bumper (i already got two with the white car *lol*)

Good thing is i have a lot of spare parts to choose from now. bad thing is i believe a few parts belong to the 260Z the previous owner also had, and a few parts are useless for me. I think i might be able to sell a few parts, but most of them or really worn out or broken so let's see. they need quite a lot of space in my garage and i think i'll sort out all the broken parts soon and throw them away. Anyway i'm happy i got a bit of a "treasure" here and at least a few of the parts might be pretty useful at one point maybe, so i'll keep all of them until i'm done with the car

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Finally i found some time for the Z again and fortunatly i had some nice progress:
    After working a few times on the carbs without being able to get them off i finally got rid of them today:

and out they are

started to remove the horns also and found this weird wiring at the front end...?!?

and off they are:

hope to have more progress soon, a nice and big package should arrive here soon

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Everytime i'm able to spend a bit of money to add another big piece of the puzzle makes me smile. So today when the FedEx lady rung the bell on my door with a huge package, which continued this:

1) A Complete set of Fiberglass ZG-Style Overfenders:

2) A Xenon Urethane front Air dam:

3) And last but not least a set of aftermarket steering rack boots (I went for the aftermarkets because the cost 1/20 of the original items and i can't see any benefits of using old NOS parts compared to fresh aftermarket items):

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Just a quick question, where did you get the Xenon air dam?
    I see them in The Z store, but reluctant to buy it because the chance it will get damaged getting it over here. I have been trying to find a European dealer with no luck.

That is a treasure trove of stuff you got from the PO. The cat weed seeds is definitely the bonus
    Thanks chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hi Chas,
    I bought it over at MSA (Zcarparts.com), they shipt it fast and cheap with fedex and do a great job. Also if you buy the urethane version that one is really flexible so almost no chance to damage it during transport - go for it

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Thanks Nils, I might just do that. I have used them before and they are fast and cheap with shipping. Them and Rock Auto are the best out there when it come to delivering on time.

PS: Looks like your doing the morning rounds on the forum too
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Finally - An Update!!!
    Haha, yeah we had the damnest longest winter since weather measurement (no joke!) and therefore we had snow and freezy temperatures until late march. anyway good news today:
    A Package from Japan arrived with a ultra-rare unicorn piece of Japanese racing history:
    A genuine forged Aluminum Kakimoto racing "valve cover" which i've been looking for almost a year now and when i almost gave up it popped up on Yahoo auctions so i just had to get it. don't ask me what i paid for it, hahaha:

The previous owner painted it in a wrong colour sos i'll have to redo that and also hilight the letters again but who cares Also got this battery kill switches from Wing takeo for my EK9 project but ordered a second one for my Z so i can switch of the battery when stored away

Last but not least i got the exhaust system removed, cleaned up the mess in the garage and removed a lot of wires and hoses from the engine.

Also should get back my engine-hoist which i loaned out to a few friends and never got back so i should be able to get the engine and tranny out soon - yikes PROGRESS

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

A genuine forged Aluminum Kakimoto racing "valve cover".....
    For the sake of accuracy, it's cast, not forged.

Member ID
    CZCC-14147

Great progress - keep pushn' on!
    Life's a journey; enjoy the ride!

Mitchell
    L28 - N42 Block w/Flat tops - N42 Rebello Head & Cam - Triple 40 PHH Mikuni's - Headers - Recaro Seats -
    R180 3.9 Diff - Close Ratio 5 Speed - Toyota Vented Brake Upgrade w/ Porterfield High Performance Pads & Shoes

1972 Datsun 240z
    HLS30-75040

Member ID
    CZCC-23207

Nice z's what month production are they? Mine is a may 72. The parts are out there it will take some time for period correct.
    ~Chris Tazelaar

05/72 HLS30-081275 L24-102597
    Owner since 07/05

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H View Post
    For the sake of accuracy, it's cast, not forged.
    Of course you're right, i had a wrong translation in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz0162
    Nice z's what month production are they? Mine is a may 72. The parts are out there it will take some time for period correct.
    The white one is an early 1972 (i remember march or february) the black one is 1972 too but don't know the production date yet..
    And yeah it definitly needs some time to find all the rare period correct parts, but i believe i got most of the big things now

Quote Originally Posted by Travel'n Man
    Great progress - keep pushn' on!
    Thanks mate, i try my best

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Here we go, got some industrial paint stripper (most harmfull stuff i've ever worked with, i believe ) and started to strip the kakimoto valve cover:
    1) Before:

2) While applying:

3) After cleaning with water and dishwashing-brush:

As you can see i need a second attempt to clear some small spots. Also got some Aluminum primer but still need to find the original dark blue wrinkle-paint which also should be able to clear the heat coming from the engine anyway, i'm happy with my progress so far

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Well after the never-ending winter with **** weather i somehow lost my motivation to get stuff done one the car, but this seems gone right now so i took two days off to get some things done (mostly gardening, but also some work on the cars ) while we have some great weather
    1) I was a bit worried how my first chassis would look after a seriously wet and snowy winter (where they throw a lot of salts on streets right in front of the car...) so i uncovered it:

and moved her in a better position, here you can see both of my fairladies:

2) then i got some stuff done on chassis number two: removed the last wires and hoses from the engine so hopefully i'll be able to get the engine and transmission out soon. (Should get my engine hoist back on the weekend )

3) Completed the paint stripping on the kakimoto valve cover. it's still wet from cleaning in the picture but looks great. ready for another clean and primer soon

4) Also made a few phone calls to figure out about the missing documents and i found out the car was last registered in an area about 1 hour from here (St. Gallen) and well i have some good news regarding the documents tomorrow. be sure to check this blog tomorrow again. im pretty happy with my progress today and hopefully the motivation keeps lasting for all my car projects. need a serious push to get things done

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

240Z: Good news as mentioned yesterday:
    Usually the grumpy bureaucrats at the car registration office aren't very helpful, but probably due to the nice wheater, yesterday the guy i had on the phone was:
    He was kind enough to search my car in the nation-wide database and made me a printout.
    You might remember my car came without any documents, and with this printout i now know where it was registered last (allowing me to get a original document again!) as well as when it was first registered (1972 as i thought), who drove it last (a lady ) and what original colour it hat, etc.. Here you go:

Member ID
    CZCC-28929

I hope you keep the motivation for the bodywork ! Once that's done, you can start rebuilding, and the fun begins

Good luck ! Keep us updated.

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Haha yeah me too, in a few hours i'll get back my engine hoist so i should be able to get the engine and transmission out next days

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

I want to push the bodyworks a bit so i try to get the bodyshop guy coming here and check the cars soon so i got a glimpse of what is possible and how i can prepare it the best. still don't know which chassis makes more sense to save etc. so here's a list i prepared with all the work that needs to be done so i can discuss it with the bodyshop-guy. TONS of work:

Both cars:
    - Remove old paint
    - Remove mirror holes in doors
    - Add new fender mirrors (got the installation drawings)
    - remove rust on doors etc (if needed)
    - repair rear spoiler (Studs broken)
    - Add Overfenders (and neatly cut and weld original (inner-)Fenders)
    - Spotweld Original chassis for added safety and rigidity (??)
    - Fit the Saito rollcage (screwed, not welded)
    - Add and fit front air dam
    - Replace frame rails
    - Replace floor pans (Still need the seat console bases, probably reuse some original)
    - remove dents and scratches if there are some
    - Remove broken screws at a few points i wasn't able to get them out

Chassis A (White):
    - replace front end (from black car)
    - Replace rear panel (from black car)
    - Remove welding signs from the roof window which was closed once.

Chassis B (Black):
    - Remove rust in rear inner wheel arches and tool storages.
    - replace roof (from white chassis?)
    - replace spare wheel mould (from white chassis?)

When done / Paintshop
    - Fit and adjust hood, doors, fenders, hatch, wing,...
    - Protect from rust in hollow parts
    - Underfloor coating
    - Preserve hollow pieces with special treatment
    - Completetly primer and paint the car in
    „Datsun 904, Kilimanjaro White“:

Now i'll have to discuss these points with the bodyshop and check time and money needed, as well as how i have to pay the work (monthly rate, pre-payment,...) i have no clue how they do payment on a job this big usually And then i have to figure out where the hell i get so much money to pay this :P

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

NEWS Today i had the bodyshop guy here checking out my cars. The plan was to hear his thoughts and get a future plan for how it's gonna be done. and that's what happend:
    The very nice guy showed up and checked my cars thoroughly for about 1,5 hours and explaining me a lot of things and showing me alot of things i haven't seen. also he explained about his previously owned JDM cars and the people he knows etc.
    Note that he doesn't look very happy when i made a photo, but afterwords i explained about my blog and then he was happy agian

And here's the plan:
    After checking both cars he mentioned it would make more sense to repair the black chassis and use the white one for spare-pieces because the white is more patched up and damaged while the black has only minor repairs and usual rust spots.
    He also mentioned that he's a fabricator bodyguy and can make any kind of bodypanels by himself.
    He quoted me 15 grand for a completely restored base shell including the bolt-on panels. but also explained it could easily be more work discovered at work. im ok with that.
    Also he explained how i should continue: Store the whit car like i did, totally strip down the black chassis and have the paint stripped down from doors, hatch, hood, etc and have them primered. Then create a rolling jig for the black car and then i can deliver it for him to work. He also explained about how payment works with this kind of projects and was very kind and nice and seemed pretty interrested in this kind of stuff and has a big knowledge in japanese classics (which is rare in switzerland). In fact he even gave me a few contacts to people in the scene i'll contact during the next days!
    So this gives me a whole truckload of motivation and i'm feeling i know where this project goes during the next months! great

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

After the Visit of the Bodyshop-guy i now have a goal again and that's stripping the black car to bare shell to so i'll be able to bring it to the bodyshop by the end of the year and have the chassis done in a year probably So i started to push things on the black chassis today:
    1) Removed the starter motor so it will be easier to remove the engine (hopefully in 2 days )

also wanted to remove the speedo-sensor but actually those damn screws were stuck, so i let them soak in WD40:

2) Next was the steering wheel:

3) and last but not least the tank lock door thingy. you also might notice a bit of rust underneath which i discovered today after removing some "bubbles" in the paintjob....

anyway i feel like i'm back to the project after now not wanting to do too much before knowing any goal for a while now. Next im hoping to get the engine and tranny out

Member ID
    CZCC-26512

Nice to hear you found your end goal. Does wonders for motivation.
    Looking at the photos of the flywheel and transmission I would prepare for the worst when dismantling the engine and drivetrain. You could try mixing a batch of ATF and Acetone, ratio 50:50. It works better than WD40.
    Chas
    Chas

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

A while ago, the famous JDM legends shop had a contest on their facebook page and, well, i won it
    Today a package from USA arrived with a nice JDMlegends Tee and a few stickers, which i will proudly put on my car once it's done. Great! And big thanks to Eric and Ryan over at JDMlegends!

Member ID
    CZCC-24552

NEWS

He quoted me 15 grand for a completely restored base shell including the bolt-on panels. but also explained it could easily be more work discovered at work. im ok with that.

Wow 15,000. Wouldn't it be less expensive just importing a nice rust free one from Los angeles?

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

Hehe, no - definitly no import costs at least 2 grand plus taxes and stuff and i think prices uf rust-free shells in USA are rising. Also most of the US-shells aren't really rust free compared to what mine will be when it's done. we're talking about a complete rebuild with a lot of custom made panels and a car which is better than a new Z was back in 1972. Importing a car and getting it to the same quality level will cost about the same at the end and i like the fact that i save an old shell that most of t he people would have thrown away

Member ID
    CZCC-23319

First the bad news: I've planned to get a lot of work done this week due to swiss labour day and so on, but of course i had to get a damn cold exactly during this time so i'm currently lying in my bed with fever and other uncool stuff...

Now to the good news: I made a few phone calls around the country to different registration stations and Authorities and this led me back to the original car's documents which i - 50 bucks later - got an original copy from now. This will alow me to get the car registered when it's done. great - my car has documents

Thread Information