Thread: How many quarts used bleeding brakes?

Member ID
    CZCC-828

Default How many quarts used bleeding brakes?

I'm afraid I've inherited Marty's brake bleeding nightmare. I'm also using speed bleeders, have Toyota calipers up front and have just completed a full suspension upgrade.

The good news is that the car is on the ground (for the first time in 6 months) and started like a champ. The coilover suspension is also very cool, very easy to adjust.

The bad news, I have already gone through close to 2 qts of DOT4 fluid (which was in there before) and still next to no pedal pressure. When I start it the pressure goes away completely.

I really doubt it's the master, it worked perfectly last year with the same set up, and I believe was replace by the PO about 5 years ago.

Any miracle cures (sorry, have to ask).

More importantly, how many quarts should I expect to use?

thanks
    -Bill
    Bill Oakes
    Libertyville, IL
    '73 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-2047

About 3/4 of a quart to fill the reservoirs and completely bleed from scratch.

steve
    "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." -EH
    HLS30-360728 Green Death Machine
    HLS30-137933 Team Midol
    Central Coast Z Car Club
    WestCoastZRacer

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Did the rubber "Reaction Disc" fall out of position inside your Master Vac (Brake Booster)?

Member ID
    CZCC-828

not sure, how would I check? I still have it, but replaced it with a rebuilt one I had as a spare, luckily.

thanks
    Bill Oakes
    Libertyville, IL
    '73 240z

Member ID
    CZCC-791

Originally posted by Bill.Oakes
    not sure, how would I check? I still have it, but replaced it with a rebuilt one I had as a spare, luckily.

thanks
    Hey Bill:

You would have to remove the master cylinder one more time to check to see if it is in place.

The Reaction Disc is #18 in the attached diagram which was originally posted by Steve (greyghost).

It will also help you to check out THIS THREAD where we recently discussed this issue.

Member ID
    CZCC-3648

Two weeks ago I overhauled my whole braking system (including new adjustable prop. valve and new fabricated steel brake lines, and new rebuilt MC). I had problems getting the air out too.

I bled the MC without success until I wasted about a quart. Then I started looking for something seriously wrong.

It turned out one of the bleeders on my brand new rebuilt MC was leaking air no matter how much it was tightened and it ended up stripping.

As I didn't have time to wait for another MC to be ordered, I took the new rubber guts out of the rebuild and put them in my old MC. After that, it only took about 1/2 a pint to completely bleed the whole system. Works good, looks good too.

P.S. I removed the brake booster from the car too. Just my driving preference.
    --John B
    '73 FP 240Z

Thread Information