Thread: Works rally 240Z resto featured in OCTANE Magazine.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Default Works rally 240Z resto featured in OCTANE Magazine.

The August 2009 issue of OCTANE Magazine ( already on sale here in the UK ) carries a very nicely photographed five page feature on Kevin Bristow's ex-Works 1971 Datsun 240Z rally car.

This car debuted on the 1971 RAC Rally here in the UK, crewed by East African Safari Rally-winning team Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller. Kevin has recently completed a marathon restoration that he took to extraordinary levels, and the article - written by Paul Hardiman and photographed in a studio by John Colley - describes the "Incredible, sensitive restoration of a unique survivor".

It's nice to see a genuine Works-built 240Z being featured in the pages of a mainstream - and fairly swanky - magazine such as OCTANE. Kevin's car is rubbing shoulders in the pages with some pretty illustrious company.....

Definitely worth picking up this mag if you have an interest in the Works cars.

Alan T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCTANE-Aug09-cover.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	30507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCTANE-Aug09-cover-detail.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	30508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCTANE-Aug09-pp80-81.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	30509   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCTANE-Aug09-pp82-83.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	401.3 KB 
ID:	30510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCTANE-Aug09-p84.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	30512  

Member ID
    CZCC-3294

Nice.

"Z guru Alan Thomas ..."
    -Mike
    Add your Z to my online spreadsheet registry

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    "Z guru Alan Thomas ..."
    The odd mistake did creep in.....

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Very nice! Tip-of-the-hat to Kevin for the accomplishment.
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cwenzel/index.html
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

Thanks for Posting this Alan. Amazing. I can truly appreciate the amount of time, the continual effort and seemingly endless supply of money that a project of this nature can consume. I know that Kevin enjoyed every second of it.

Really nice article. Does anyone know if this Magazine is available on the News Stands here in the US?

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Member ID
    CZCC-5999

I know Kevin's car has appeared from time to time in "Classic and Sportscar".
    Alan, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't there a picture of this same car in a previous incarnation being totally airborne in a rally from the 1970's,before Kevin owned it?
    I know I have that issue somewhere, maybe I can dig up the pic.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by deadflo View Post
    Alan, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't there a picture of this same car in a previous incarnation being totally airborne in a rally from the 1970's,before Kevin owned it?
    I think you might be getting this car confused with Kevin's other 240Z historic rally car ( UK registration number 'OMT 868K' ) which is yellow, with a red stripe. That car has been rallying for most of it's life, but Kevin has a long and successful history with it ( winning the UK championship with it one year ) and still owns it.

The ex-Works car ( Japanese carnet registration number 'TKS 33 SA 3640', subsequently UK registration number 'PTE 338L' ) is quite a different car, and has been occupying his free time for much of the last twelve years or so. Now that the restoration of the ex-Works car is finished, Kevin may be taking part in the occasional competitive outing in 'OMT' again.....

Here's a pic of 'OMT' a couple of years or so ago:

Name:	OMT and Basil-1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	30514  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Thanks for Posting this Alan. Amazing. I can truly appreciate the amount of time, the continual effort and seemingly endless supply of money that a project of this nature can consume. I know that Kevin enjoyed every second of it.
    Thanks Carl,
    Money was one thing, but I have the deepest respect for Kevin's forensic mindset and the superhuman effort he put into understanding the details of this car during the time he applied himself to saving it. He seemed to put himself in the place of the Works fabricators and technicians who actually built the car so that he could understand why and how they did what they did. As the article says, he really did manage to keep the lightning in the bottle. Unfortunately, the complex nature of the car, along with the level of detailing, original feeling and patina of the car cannot be conveyed adequately in the printed media. I wish you could all see this car in the metal ( and plastic! ), to appreciate both what the Works staff built, and what Kevin has managed to save. It is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck
    Really nice article. Does anyone know if this Magazine is available on the News Stands here in the US?
    I'm sure it has some distribution in the USA. Their website address is: www.octane-magazine.com

If anybody really wants a copy, but struggles to get a single copy in the USA or Canada without subscription, please let me know and I will be happy to try and help.

Cheers,
    Alan T.

Bitten by the Z bug hard bigoak's Avatar
    Member ID
    CZCC-8037

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H View Post
    I'm sure it has some distribution in the USA. Their website address is: www.octane-magazine.com

If anybody really wants a copy, but struggles to get a single copy in the USA or Canada without subscription, please let me know and I will be happy to try and help.

Cheers,
    Alan T.

Definitely available in Canada as an import and usually runs a month or so behind on distribution.

Any good magazine shop will likely have it in stock.

Great magazine. I'm a regular reader. It's one of the few Euro mags that spends the preponderance of it's time talking about Ferrari's and Aston's that I can actually stomach...

Some really neat stuff from time to time on one-off concept vehicles that are still floating around and they do a reasonable amount of coverage of this side of the pond (nice article on Amelia Island an issue or two ago).

They do seem a trifle fixated on Goodwood mind you...
    Last edited by bigoak; 06-24-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Bigoak

'71 240Z
    '77 280Z
    '87 300ZX

Supporting Member
    Member ID
    CZCC-12938

Thanks for the heads up Alan. I will be sure to get this issue. Octane magazine - issue 22 April 2005. This was the first copy of this magazine that I bought at the news stand. I bought it for the featured article of the Lamborghini Miura. (Yep, I was dreaming!) But it is also the copy which included an article titled..."Datsun 240Z How - and why - to buy Japan's greatest sports car". It is a well rounded publication that touches on a variety of fine automobiles of interest, past and present, as well as contributions from owners and world class drivers from across the wide spectrum of motor sport. When I buy a copy at the news stand, after reading, I normally pass them on to friends who I know will appreciate a good read. A subscription would be a good idea.

Member ID
    CZCC-3609

I know I have that issue somewhere, maybe I can dig up the pic.
    Are you thinking of this picture? {see the one on the Left below} It was taken at the Ypres Rally in Belgium. {thanks to James Morris for sending it}

OR PERHAPS:
    Kevin's Yellow/Red 240Z may look familiar to some in the U.S. Could be you think you saw it racing here in the Pacific Northwest, or maybe running the Panama-Alaska Rally in 1997... There is a reason for that....

Kevin's Yellow/Red 240Z was originally owned by Robert Trinder.

Robert left England about 23 years ago to move to Canada. Robert then bought a former Road Race 240-Z and prepared it for Rally duty. He kept the same color scheme as he had before. It was entered in a few Stage Rallies and then Robert and Scott Trinder ran the 1997 Panama-Alaska Rally with the car in vintage class finishing an impressive 6th overall.

Rick Hintz bought the car in 98. Rick and Mark Swalley {Mark Johnson substituting} then used it in SCCA's Group 5 Rally Competition.

David Birchall bought the car in 2005 and had plans to keep it in Rally trim...

http://ZHome.com/Racing/RALLY/Hintz.htm

Second Picture is Trinder's car on the Baja Stage of the Panama-Alaska Rally in 97. It JUST PASSED UNDER the nose of that horse!!! A tenth of a second later, the horse and Z would have been history.

FWIW,
    Carl B.

Name:	KBRallyZ2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	30515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panama_dbirchall (2).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	30516  
    Last edited by Carl Beck; 06-24-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

Carl,

I don't know if the Barnes & Noble store in your area carries it ( being tailored to the older generation ), but our Barnes & Noble has it. And call first! You don't want to run over anyone with a walker. Probably don't want to go out looking for a Barnes & Noble on Bingo night either!
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-5999

I think Allen is right in that the car I'm remembering was Kevin's other Z. And no Carl, the pic you posted is not the one Im thinking of. It was a black and white from the 1970's of an airborne Z in a rally race., quite an amazing shot in Classic and Sportscar I'll have to find and post.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

I think Allen is right in that the car I'm remembering was Kevin's other Z......

....It was a black and white from the 1970's of an airborne Z in a rally race., quite an amazing shot in Classic and Sportscar I'll have to find and post.
    This photo perhaps?

Just to confirm, this is Kevin's other historic rally 240Z - UK registration number 'OMT 868K':

Name:	OMT-868K-yump-1.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	30525  

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

To continue the story of Kevin's Works car;

The photos for the OCTANE Magazine feature were taken soon after the car was finally legal for road use ( M.O.T. test passed, Road Fund License obtained and insurance paid ), but at that point Kevin had not really driven the car other than - shall we say - carefully and respectfully.

However, Kevin was invited to take part in the 'Hamilton Classic Motor Sport History of Rallying' display at the 2008 'Rally Show' at the Chatsworth House stately home in Derbyshire, England on 6th and 7th June. Members of the 'Slowly Sideways' group ( all owners and users of historic rally machinery ) would display their cars at the show, and also take part in 'demo' runs on the rally stage.

Typical English rallying weather prevailed ( torrential rain for the whole weekend ) and the other modern and historic cars running on the stage turned it into a quagmire with some extremely deep ridges. But undaunted, Kevin still took the car around twice on each day and put on a great display for the brave spectators. I was lucky enough to be asked to sit-in as pretend navigator ( actually no more than ballast ) and enjoyed myself immensely. It was a great privilege and an honour, and I am very grateful to Kevin for asking me.

You can see some great shots of the car in action at Chatsworth, taken by photographer Mark Sims, on his 'Rally Gallery' website:

http://www.rallygallery.com/2009_CHATS.aspx
    ( just click on the 'History of Rallying' tab )

As you can see, 'TKS 33 SA 3640' once again wore English mud as a badge of honour, and paid tribute to the men in Japan who built her, the men who drove and serviced her in-period, and bore testament to the dedication and determination of Kevin, who rescued her and made her live again.......

Alan T.

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	704.7 KB 
ID:	30526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	745.4 KB 
ID:	30527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	656.3 KB 
ID:	30528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-4.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	640.4 KB 
ID:	30529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-5.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	541.2 KB 
ID:	30530  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-6.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	536.2 KB 
ID:	30531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatsworth-3640-edit-7.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	30532  

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

What a wonderful car. I've seen Octane Magazine here in the states at Border's Books on the big magazine wall.

Member ID
    CZCC-6441

Default 14 years ago...

I'll be looking for a copy!
    Here's an article on the shed/barn find.

Name:	3640 pic .jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	30552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3640t.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	343.9 KB 
ID:	30553  
    Regards,
    Jim.

1972 Skyline GT-X (GT-R copy)KGC10

Prince & Skyline spoken here

Member ID
    CZCC-1278

I thought the works cars had cross flow heads? I guess the original engine was long gone when Kevin found the car?
    www.nostalgictrio.com Skyline - Silvia - Fairlady Z
    www.ozdat.com The Australian Datsun site.
    www.cafepress.com/vintagedatsun

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Camouflage View Post
    I thought the works cars had cross flow heads? I guess the original engine was long gone when Kevin found the car?
    No, the works rally cars did not get the 'LY' crossflow heads until well into 1972, And even then it was not every car.

The engine of 'TKS 33 SA 3640' is extremely original. Original block, head, crank, rods, pistons, valves, valve springs (!), cam, sump, flywheel, pulleys, manifolds, carbs, etc etc etc. All the original works parts, and quite different from those of the standard cars. Very interesting to look at in a kind of post-mortem situation, although the 'patient' was revived - Lazarus like - and seemed to have suffered no ill effects from its decades of suspended animation......

Name:	3640-engine-1.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	30554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3640-block-1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	491.3 KB 
ID:	30555   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3640-head-etc-1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	561.3 KB 
ID:	30556  

Member ID
    CZCC-6856

Hi Alan,
    I do love the historical side of the works S30's, and thanks for adding a bit more than just the article (the photos above). I got a copy of the magazine, but as usual I wanted to know more, and felt the article could have had more in-depth detail. But considering the magazine is usually home to European marques, it was a good starting point.

Cheers
    Ian
    RS30 June 1978 built 260Z (9th last)

1965 Nissan Silvia (CSP311) the next restoration

Member ID
    CZCC-5999

This photo perhaps?

Just to confirm, this is Kevin's other historic rally 240Z - UK registration number 'OMT 868K':
    Yep, that's the pic I was thinking of!

Member ID
    CZCC-6856

Hi again Alan,
    Been thinking while doing some work, do you have any other photos of this works rally car when Kevin aquired it, pre-restoration (apart from the one in the article when found, above), you would mind sharing with us? This may go in some small way to show the work/dedication Kevin put into this to get to the finished article.

Cheers
    Ian

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Hi Ian,

I took photos of the car all the way through the process, so I've got hundreds if not thousands of images of the car.

However, all the early ones are pre-digital camera - so I will have to choose some to scan and add to the thread. Bear with me, as I'm quite busy at the moment.

Cheers,
    Alan T.

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

Alan,

Maybe there's another book in the making?

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

John,
    These works rally cars are a moving target for the researcher. They were made in small batches, and every batch was different due to the particular event they were intended for, the lessons learned on previous examples, and sometimes also due to regulation changes.

In each batch, there was often a raft of small variations between each car - so you have to view each car on a case-by-case basis. Each one was essentially unique. Once you start digging into it you begin to realise just what a huge subject it can become.......

I might start to consider writing something like a book ( or even just a 'vanity publishing' booklet ) when I start to believe I know where the bottom of the research trench is. At the moment I'm just digging ( with a spoon ) and I can't imagine that I've got anywhere near where I'd like to be! And all of the works cars are of interest to me, with the works circuit racing cars perhaps of more interest personally than the rally cars - but there's a lot of cross-over between their stories. Every time you find some new information it brings up more questions and more possibilities for research, so it is endlessly fascinating but also endlessly frustrating. Still, I'd rather it was like that than too easy. The mystery has its own appeal.

Here's a single shot that might help to illustrate just what Kevn faced in rescuing '3640'. He needed to save as much as possible of the original 'shell, but some of it had already physically disappeared. The works rally cars usually had their floor drain plug holes sealed up, which had long-term consequences thus:

Name:	3640-floors-edit-1.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	30659  

Member ID
    CZCC-6856

Thank you Alan

Member ID
    CZCC-4148

I might start to consider writing something like a book...when I start to believe I know where the bottom of the research trench is.

Every time you find some new information it brings up more questions and more possibilities for research, so it is endlessly fascinating but also endlessly frustrating.
    Alan,

Take a stab at it. History is something you will never get your arms around and no one expects you to. Documenting the one car would be a project by itself however well worth the effort.

But just looking at the floor picture has me thinking of questions already! I see what you mean.

Chris
    Enjoy the Ride
    HLS30-00026
    HLS30-00027
    Go Gators
    Go Butler Bulldogs

Member ID
    CZCC-4106

I might start to consider writing something like a book ( or even just a 'vanity publishing' booklet ) when I start to believe I know where the bottom of the research trench is. At the moment I'm just digging ( with a spoon ) and I can't imagine that I've got anywhere near where I'd like to be! And all of the works cars are of interest to me, with the works circuit racing cars perhaps of more interest personally than the rally cars - but there's a lot of cross-over between their stories. Every time you find some new information it brings up more questions and more possibilities for research, so it is endlessly fascinating but also endlessly frustrating. Still, I'd rather it was like that than too easy. The mystery has its own appeal.

Alan,
    Not that this wil push you into it, but, when/if you get this done, I'll buy an autographed copy!
    Will
    A Z is beautiful from any angle, I just happen to prefer to view from the drivers' seat!

Crumudgeon
    Member ID
    CZCC-798

In each batch, there was often a raft of small variations between each car - so you have to view each car on a case-by-case basis. Each one was essentially unique. Once you start digging into it you begin to realise just what a huge subject it can become.......
    How about a book per car? Imagine the pennies you'll make! :-)

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Default So let me get this right...

So the car is stamped PS30 and not HS30 right? It left the factory as a 432? Or was it stamped HS30 but built using the techniques of the 432? The article in the magazine went some way toward explaining it but didn't go into detail.

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by Gav240z View Post
    So the car is stamped PS30 and not HS30 right? It left the factory as a 432? Or was it stamped HS30 but built using the techniques of the 432?
    Gav,
    These 'early' ( pre '72 season regulation change ) works cars were put together using some of the special pressings and panels that were originally created for the 432R ( as opposed to the 432, which had 'normal' panels and pressings ). So the rear quarters, roof and other panels were thinner gauge steel than 'standard' 240Z / 432 / Fairlady Z versions, whilst some of the more structural sections ( including inner and outer sills and the box sections at the rear of the car ) were thicker gauge steel than 'normal'........

Most of the FRP panels hung on the car ( bonnet / hood, doors and tailgate ) and the acrylic windows were parts originally introduced as stock and / or 'Sports Option' parts for the 432R, although there were some subtle differences due to the special conditions and needs of stage rallying ( rear window mounting, for example ). Even the seats in the rally cars were 432R type items - although some of the works rally cars ( including '3640' ) used a special reclining seat for the navigator, which was a concession to the nature of events like the Safari and the RAC in those days. Sometimes a driver would catch some rest in the navigator's seat whilst the navigator drove a road section......

So you could argue that these early works cars were essentially 'PZR' type bodies, but using L-gata mechanicals and stamped up with series production 'HS30' and 'HLS30' prefixes and body serial numbers on their firewalls and engine bay tags. They really were quite special.

Here's the engine bay tag from '3640', to illustrate:

Name:	3640-engine-bay-plate-1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	30943  

Member ID
    CZCC-1316

Very interesting indeed. I can't imagine you would get much rest in a rally car though .

Were these cars referred to by any special name in the factory?

EG: the PS30-SB was the Z432R and the HS30-H was the Fairlady 240zg, were the rally cars given a special chassis suffix?

Btw have you written a book? The thread seemed to indicate you had already written one .

Member ID
    CZCC-2116

Quote Originally Posted by Gav240z View Post
    Very interesting indeed. I can't imagine you would get much rest in a rally car though .
    On the big multi-day events like the old RAC, the crews would have to complete a fairly huge amount of road mileage between the timed special stages - some of it early in the morning and some fairly late at night. In circumstances like that, the chance of even a relatively short kip would probably have been most welcome. It's not actually all that noisy inside the car, and on a road section it would have been fairly civilised I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav240z
    Were these cars referred to by any special name in the factory?

EG: the PS30-SB was the Z432R and the HS30-H was the Fairlady 240zg, were the rally cars given a special chassis suffix?
    Variously - and somewhat loosely - I've seen them referred to in period as either '240ZR' or just 'ZR' variants. You have to remember that this was internal nomenclature and not for the likes of us on the outside to understand or use. The '240ZR' name was a bit of a moving target too, as the specs of the cars it was used in reference to were changing all the time, and it was used on works rally cars as well as works circuit racing cars.

The works competition department had their own numbering system for the cars, and they also used a 'Maintenace Number' ( 'Kanri Bango' in Japanese ) to identify each individual car in their system. This 'Kanri Bango' system even included the works service barges - some of which were actually pretty trick; More than one of them ended up with a full works-spec triple carbed race engine. You can usually see the original 'Kanri Bango' written on the cars in period photos. It was located on the rear valance, under the bumper on the right hand side. Some of these were actually reflective number and letter stickers.

Kevin's car had a 'ZR' number hand written in chalk underneath the dash. It reads '51 ZR' - so his car was probably the 51st 'ZR' at that point...... Remembering of course that the 'ZR' nomenclature could have included PZs and PZRs, as well as more than one type of '240ZR'.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gav240z
    Btw have you written a book? The thread seemed to indicate you had already written one .
    No, I'm still learning. Been digging a long time but can't see the bottom of the hole yet......

Mike B
    Member ID
    CZCC-9102

Here is a link to the Octane article posted online for those of us that couldn't find the magazine http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ar...ersationId=236.

-Mike

Thread Information